Time Off

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2013
Stoddard, WI
DD's season ended this week and after 8 months I could tell the intensity was waning the last month. We did 76 games this year. We are going to take a couple months off. She is going to play HS Tennis and then we will get into it again. Sometimes we forget these are just kids and they need to have fun.

Dec 7, 2011
Sometimes we forget these are just kids and they need to have fun.

I am in total agreement in time off for pitchers due to spine stress fractures (another one just went down we know of) BUT I HATE this phrase sooo much (in general and not to be argumentative). To me the rigors of the sports life fits or it doesnt. I do NOT believe a kid should have a god given right to "have fun" and i also submit that this falacy leads to the continuing decline in character and responsibility in younger generations.

Just my opinion.

Oct 10, 2011
This is a tough time of year and I understand wanting the "time off." What grade is she in? DD's HS coach wants her to play Volleyball, but with AP classes, the SAT, travel ball tournaments, etc... It's a difficult decision because she loves volleyball so much.
Good luck!

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Let her have fun. It is possible to play multiple sports and take them both seriously. I played baseball and golf at very high levels as a kid and golf as an adult. I enjoyed both very much but they are two completely different animals. Baseball was intense, high stress and high pressure for me. I enjoy pressure situations personally but I can only take so much at any given time. Golf was different because I got the chance to be alone per se. Golf was my way of having fun even though the pressure and competition was very real.

Maybe tennis is your daughters "relaxation"

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55