Thoughts on DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2015
This board is great..........once your learn the language and how to decipher everything. Look up old threads, read the arguments, and try it all yourself. I am pretty simple minded and don't understand most of what is said, but after reading enough I can get the basic ideas. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
And realize that swing development takes time and is always ongoing. I think I discovered this board when my daughter was 10. She's 15, and she's still working on having a good swing. If the high-level swing had been her #1 goal in life like mine, she would've had it by now. :)

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
tumblr_nqzoewd3wm1usf292o1_400.gif

To much leaning back in the loading, which gets the hands to far behind the backfoot. Stay in the attack posture while loading. The front hip shouldn't raise up while loading either.

Apr 28, 2015
The biggest difference between the video and the Kasey Cooper gifs is that Cooper keeps her weight mostly inside her rear knee where Nikki's DD rocks most of her weight back onto the rear knee and doesn't have as much balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2015
Where is she hitting the ball? All over, grounders to right. Swinging late makes it tough for girls to hit balls in the air unless it is a pop fly because of the mechanics involved. Bat weight and size and TIMING really affect this. I always try to instill in my 10u daughter to hit the ball out front of the plate and stay on top of it. The mechanics makes it easier to hit it in the air naturally. My daughter uses a 30/20 xeno and chokes up an 1" if need be. Your daughters swing mechanics looks really good for 10u girl. As some of the other posts mention a tighter more compact swing helps most every hitter especially when they move up to faster pitching. Keep up the good work. IMO confidence is 90% of hitting. Confidence comes from practicing and having fun doing it. Good Luck!

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for The input. I have played but being in my 40's now it was a long, long......long time ago. I did not play long - my game was basketball. Her dad was the baseball player but he doesn't have the patience to work with her and she doesn't have the patience to listen to him so I am the main "bucket mom". We practice daily and I figured I would help her the best I can. I do take her to lessons but they are once a week for 30 minutes - we work daily and I want to make sure I am addressing the concepts that will help her start hitting more consistently. She has the highest RBI #'s on her team, however, she has a low on base percentage because she is slow and gets thrown out at first. I figured if I can help her hit more line drives instead of grounders she might have a better on base %. She is 10 and really doesn't care about QAB or even RBI's right now. She only thinks about how often she is safe at first after a hit.

I am on this board every day trying to find ways to help her improve in both hitting and pitching. I appreciate all of the knowledge on this site.

Looks like you have more than enough help in the hitting department. While a line drive every time is what we all strive for, ground balls happen. I think you should do a little speed and agility work. I bet with a few minutes of work a night she will be beating out a lot of those ground balls. My daughter isnt a huge fan of the 'high knee, toe up' speed drills but she notices the results. She is getting quicker and her running form is improving. My daughter will never be a track star but she can train like one! Just youtube speed and agility drills and youll find a few good workouts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi