Thoughts on Daughter's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
OK dukie I'll give my 2 cents keeping in mind there are others on this thread who have posted a lot more and seem extremely knowledgeable.

I think the start and end of the swing could use work but again there is a lot to like. Come business time she uses her body well and looks very good at the point of impact (very good for her age).

She starts with her hands way up by her head. She quickly brings them down but this may be contributing to her overall start high and end high with a big sort of around the world loop. I would try starting the hands at the top of the strike zone like Ted Williams recommended.

Her coil or load looks fairly good. On the T shot she wrapped her bat around her head a little but off the machine this wasn't bad, so like I said I'll attribute that to the exaggerated movements I see all the time when kids this age hit off the T. The biggest problem is that she leans back. Take a look at this video for a good drill to correct this and an explanation of the proper weight after stride. She has too much weight on her back leg. Coil the hip a little more and lean back a little less. I couldn't see what happened as well off the machine in this regard because of the camera angle (from the side is better ) Most of the best hitting gurus I follow teach a 40-60% balance or 50-50, one even 60% on the front.

I only glanced at all the replies but it looked like you got volumes about the back foot. I didn't parse through it all. In my opinion again too much weight is back. This is why the back foot and hence her body over-rotates. The follow through is great but if the weight is properly transferred to the front side her back foot will come off the ground momentarily. Take a look at the picture of Pujols at the top of this page of O'Leary. Not that a 9 yr old needs to get to this point but play around with the weight yourself and this picture gives you the idea of how proper weight shift will get rid of her "spinning" on the back foot.

Off the machine her front shoulder lifts and she finishes pretty high almost like a golf finish.

Off the T I like the finish a little better. Off the T from the point she starts rotating to impact through most of her follow through she looks awesome. She has great hip then torso then hands action. The bat comes through the zone nicely and for a good area. Her back elbow stays close to her hip and her front arm is close to her chest. Look at the T shots from the point she starts to rotate, you can see how still her head is against the garage squares, she is rotating perfectly around the axis through her body.

The moral of the story for me is the stuff I mentioned in the last paragraph is absolutely outstanding. You barely ever see those positives in a 9 yr old. There is plenty to work on but in my opinion it is the easier stuff and she has for her age achieved the harder to do stuff to a great degree.

If she really loves working this keep going but for how far she has come I would consider working on either a celebration ice cream cone with Dad for all her great work or maybe focusing on other parts of her game for a bit while the good aspects of this swing just sink in.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Also, take a look at the O'Leary page again. There are a lot of good shots at the moment of contact. The players are all basically upright. Look at your T video. Your DD is maybe 20' leaning back. Now take a pretend swing and at that moment mimic the amount of lean to understand just how much of your DD's weight is back.

Apr 30, 2011
MrT, take a look at the video on page 5.
We have been working on and hopefully corrected the weight on the back foot issue.
Thanks for your help.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
LOL I am way behind. Probably brought nothing new but jumped in... so excited about this kid. What a swing!!

Looking great. Weight transfer and back foot looking good.

It's so good it's we're nit pick point for her age.

She still is leaning back instead of coiling hip. I mean this means nothing at 9!!! She is more than good to go and I would give anything to have my 10U kids at that point. Eventually down the road when pitching gets better the leaning loses a bit of power, moves the head a bit, and costs a fraction of a second.

You can step and coil your hip keeping your back knee inside your back foot instead of over it yourself and see how you can get to ready position a fraction quicker than she is doing by leaning. But again I mean LOL what are we talking about this kid's swing is perfection for now as far as I am concerned!!!!

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
... OK dukie, you are my new hero

Forget me, I know all about 2 things, 2 things I am an expert guru master Jedi at... exactly Jack and exactly Squat (to plagiarize a novel here a bit) and I guess a third, the grand sum total of jack and squat put together

Will you teach me how you taught her?

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Maybe we should start a new thread. I'd really love to hear the story of how she progressed. What worked? Did you do a lot of video analysis with her? Would be a great story.

We had our 2nd practice for travel 8U yesterday. Worked hard on using body instead of arm swinging. Very hard for this age. Smallest girl, who is actually 6, listened and tried hard. I said three times "this girl has the best lower body mechanics on this team." Had a small scrimmage and what happened? This 6 yr old drives a ball way out to right center for a triple. That will hopefully get the kids believing because it's very hard to get them to change at all.

Read the whole thread. Jim clearly has tons of experience as a player and coach. That was the only quizzical thing for me on this thread. I am not sure what you mean about quieting the head.

From the first tee vid, at frame 55 she is planted and starting to swing. From frame 55 to beyond 70 her head is very still for her age or any age. Excellent rotation around and not lunging. You can see the stillness of the head in this clip indisputably by the squares on the garage door.

Initial opinion was a lot of crazy stuff before the swing and some at the very end, but during the most important part the head is very still (moves back a tiny bit due to excessive weight on back foot which you've since fixed) and the swing is so good. Opinion solidified and personally do not understand the head comments at all.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Read the whole thread. Jim clearly has tons of experience as a player and coach. That was the only quizzical thing for me on this thread. I am not sure what you mean about quieting the head.

From the first tee vid, at frame 55 she is planted and starting to swing. From frame 55 to beyond 70 her head is very still for her age or any age. Excellent rotation around and not lunging. You can see the stillness of the head in this clip indisputably by the squares on the garage door.

Initial opinion was a lot of crazy stuff before the swing and some at the very end, but during the most important part the head is very still (moves back a tiny bit due to excessive weight on back foot which you've since fixed) and the swing is so good. Opinion solidified and personally do not understand the head comments at all.

The reason for the "quiet the head down comment" was because of the initial video that we saw. Softballphreak posted it again today.

Remember that even though her head may be quiet for a few frames of film, she should try to keep it quiet for a longer period so that the bad habit (excessive head movement during swing through contact) doesn't creep in too early before contact.

The body follows the head and vise versa. The violence in the swing should be with the bat flying through the zone, not with the hitter's head. It also has to do with keeping the mind's focus and thoughts on the ball in the moment vs. letting the mind and focus drift out to the field where the hitter wants to hit the ball.

Mind drift leads to head drift. Head drift leads to poor sight on the pitch. Create a good habit physically with the head in relation to the swing and this will help with sight and focus on the ball. (the most important fundamental to hitting)

Apr 30, 2011
I believe the excessive head movement can be mostly attributed to the tee and her trying to kill the ball from it.
She and I have discussed the head movement and I don't notice it in the "machine pitch video" above.

MrT.....I'll get you some info.
Thanks

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio

I would have her keep from letting her face follow the flight of the batted ball so soon after contact.

To create a better habit of this she should keep her face on the hitting zone even after she has made contact. Her nose should be pointing toward the hitting zone at the end of her swing vs. the outfield.

This will help keep her from drifting too soon during games where she really wants to see that ball fly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207