Thoughts on Daughter's Swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A swing clip against a pitching machine would be great. I'm looking to see her swing against a ball coming at her 'head-on'.

Regarding your last question .... the answer is 'no', we exchange various videos, but rarely do I send him a video simply because I like the swing. A while back he asked for an example of a young female hitter close to the pattern ... and IMO your daughter's swing is such a swing.

p.s.
I personally wouldn't focus so much on the head movement per say, so much as I would focus on what is causing it. First thing I'd recommend there is that the weight distribution on the rear foot not drift across the rear foot to the outside edge of the rear foot ... and that is what some use for their definition of 'sway'. Instead, contain the weight/pressure feel to the "inside edge" of the rear foot during the coil. I have a drill I use to help promote that feel, but the bottom line there is that it's a good idea to contain the pressure between the ground & rear foot, to the "inside edge" of the rear foot during the coil.

Here's another video clip pertaining to head movement [golf related].

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
FFS,I am just saying that sometimes working with a 8-10 yr old girl you have to simplify thing so they understand and can perform the movement. If you try to get them to replicate A-Rod swing the first lesson you are going to have a hard time. IMHO....you have to simplify things a bit so they understand and then progress to the more technical stages.

Simplify... So important in coaching. It's an art. The ultimate goal is to make the game easier for the players. Well said coachdan.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I personally wouldn't focus so much on the head movement per say, so much as I would focus on what is causing it.

Easier for hitters to work on one thing at a time with less thought. "Keeping the head quiet" is easier to naturally work on vs. trying to eliminate the "cause of the head movement".

Have her dry swing while looking at her reflection in a mirror. Have her watch her head. Instant feedback from the mirror will let her quiet down the head movement naturally with less thought. Not to mention, in order to keep her eyes on her reflection, her head will naturally quiet down.

She needs to do this while taking game speed swings. No slow practice swings during this drill.

Apr 30, 2011
FFS, once again thank you, and as I stated she will be flattered.
I do believe the head movement was somewhat of an anomoly. I've noticed movements and actions are exaggerated when using the tee.

Jim, yes, I agree, it's different when it's your child!!!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Easier for hitters to work on one thing at a time with less thought. "Keeping the head quiet" is easier to naturally work on vs. trying to eliminate the "cause of the head movement".

Have her dry swing while looking at her reflection in a mirror. Have her watch her head. Instant feedback from the mirror will let her quiet down the head movement naturally with less thought. Not to mention, in order to keep her eyes on her reflection, her head will naturally quiet down.

She needs to do this while taking game speed swings. No slow practice swings during this drill.

The concern from my perspective is that having the head be perfectly quiet is not a good goal ... and if that goal is overdone then one can easily degrade one's swing.

The reason I recommend working on the cause of excess head movement directly, is because it is the cause that needs to be corrected ... some head movement in the swing is actually a good thing. Hence the notion is to attack the cause, and not the result.

Oct 25, 2009
The concern from my perspective is that having the head be perfectly quiet is not a good goal ... and if that goal is overdone then one can easily degrade one's swing.

The reason I recommend working on the cause of excess head movement directly, is because it is the cause that needs to be corrected ... some head movement in the swing is actually a good thing. Hence the notion is to attack the cause, and not the result.

Trying to keep the head perfectly still would be the opposite extreme of what she does in the video. Not good, reasonable head movement is fine. The head movement in the video is excessive. The extreme head tilt is a problem also; the world looks funny from that position. Not good for tracking a pitched ball. It needs to be more upright.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Trying to keep the head perfectly still would be the opposite extreme of what she does in the video. Not good, reasonable head movement is fine. The head movement in the video is excessive. The extreme head tilt is a problem also; the world looks funny from that position. Not good for tracking a pitched ball. It needs to be more upright.

I just want to make sure I understand your position before getting into this particular topic further. In the clip below you see an "extreme head tilt problem" and you suggest that it represents making "the world look funny", resulting in not being "good for tracking a pitched ball".

Here ... take another look. Are you sure about your assertion? Exactly how much "more upright" are you looking to see a hitter's head? Do you believe the eyes should be level to the ground at contact? Is that what you see in accomplished hitters? I ask .... because it isn't what I see.

2wejw2p.gif

Observe the tilt in Hollie Pinchback's head at contact. Do you believe she has an "extreme head tilt problem"?

awtes6.jpg

How about Adrienne Monka? Does the tilt in her head at contact represent an "extreme head tilt problem"?

30lc87k.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Simplify... So important in coaching. It's an art. The ultimate goal is to make the game easier for the players. Well said coachdan.

My ultimate goal here is to assist in making hitters more productive, ..... which will hopefully increase the odds of them enjoying the game to a greater degree.

One can make the game easier for players while making them less productive, ... which may satisfy an objective of "babysitting", but wouldn't satisfy my objective.

If the goal is to make it easier for kids to learn swing mechanics directing them towards the pattern, then I'm game for that.

Sep 29, 2010
I tell my daughter all the time that we work hard to get better and that the better she becomes the funner the game will be.

I don't think I ever mentioned the word easy with her. I will say though that the game has started to become a lot of fun for her over the last year or two and maybe even easier.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FFS,
Thanks to you,Dukie and everyone elses discussions.I have worked with my 12yr old DD. I tried to mirrior Dukie's DD swing.I have learned so much and had my own aha moment.DD game last night to line drive hits over second base.DD is RH and up to now most hits weak right side ground balls or right side foul balls.Thanks for all your help and I will continue to read and learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog