There's No Crying in Baseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In my mind I've been parenting for 30 years (four kids), but now with this youngest one (16), I've decided I don't have a damned clue what I'm doing, and I don't think I ever did! Today I'm thinking I should just tell her she's free to come and go as she wants with no curfew or other restrictions. And I thought my first three were difficult !!!!

Welcome to my world!!!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
A clergyman told my parents long ago (roughly 40 years ago), "Lover your children, but never trust them." There is a lot of wisdom in this. Trust isn't something you give. It's something that is earned. Further, I've always felt that a teenager is a person with everything having developed.....everything but their brains. It's too bad they don't develop wisdom before there bodies grow up.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been blessed by uncommon circumstances to conduct and observe what essentially amounts to a parenting experiment with triplets over the last 20 years. Other than concluding that genetic predisposition is more influential than environment, I can confidently say that I'm not sure I know much more now than I did before.

Jun 29, 2012
interesting read. my 12yo isn't a crier. she is very emotional, but not a crier. while other kids toss helmets and blame umps or other players, she is a hard worker and trys to do better next time. yet she was reduced to tears today when the coach ripped her apart publicly and benched her for not hitting the cutoff player. (not that there was one). normally stoic and inward thinking in these situations, today she was crying so bad her chest was heaving. it was also a bad hormone day, if you catch my drift. then, to top it off we get home from the tournament and her pet was dead. not a good day. imho, softball is a game. a game we love, but its a game. play to win. definitely. but not to the extent it induces emotional pain on a kid. in contrast, death is a real deal. my girl is smart enuff to understand the difference , so it was good lesson in contrast despite the tears.

May 16, 2014
I was very proud of my crier this weekend. After lots of positive talks, she kept it all in perspective. She had a ground out and a strike out, both of which usually bring a bit of a fit, but she held up fine. There was also some bench time involved, which gets to her. She maintained a very good attitude throughout. So either all the encouragement is having a positive effect, or she just wants me to shut up.

We finished third and got a medal as an 8U aged team in a 10U tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole