The ump had enough

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2009
My DD's coach thought I was going to get tossed in a game this past weekend. We had seen the BU the week before in some league games. IMO from the stands, where we know we can see everything, the BU blew three calls. At one point I had yelled he needed to clean off the bag... seriously, 1st was covered in dirt and blended into the field. Fast forward to pool play on Saturday. BU makes, again my opinion, a bad call at 2nd. I say (loudly) "Oh, come on". BU proceeds to stare me down until the next pitch. Coach told me in between games that if I got tossed he'd laugh at me.

I did see a fan ejected at our first tournament this year. The fan in question was jawing about our coach delaying the game. The PU went over to him (up against the backstop fence) and the next thing I know the fan was throwing his umbrella against the fence toward the ump. The fan got "ejected", but I saw him later simply sitting down the left field fence.

Mar 13, 2010
See I think there's a difference between saying 'you can't get on my @ss' and 'you're an @ss'.

I still don't consider @as a curse. I've had stuff edited on here that shocked the heck out of me! (Where the devil lives and the end of this very famous sentence 'Frankly my dear I don't give a ....') Those words are flat out not curse words here.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The last time I yelled at an umpire was for addressing our fans about the game, nothing good will ever come of it. Needed to yell because I introduced myself into a yell feast, yelled at the parents too.

Let me know and I will take care of it, if not throw me out of the game.

The swearing did not bother me too much but was inappropriate.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So, you see no difference in a fan telling a child of yours, "Bad call ump." than "Bad call *****." If you cuss in public, your trying to force your beliefs on others. Works both ways.

Don't believe in profanity. Cannot help it if you do. It is a word. That's all, a group of letters that has no power other than what you afford it. And most of the people I know have no idea why they believe a word is bad other than at some point in time they were told by someone else that it was.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
See I think there's a difference between saying 'you can't get on my @ss' and 'you're an @ss'.

I still don't consider @as a curse. I've had stuff edited on here that shocked the heck out of me! (Where the devil lives and the end of this very famous sentence 'Frankly my dear I don't give a ....') Those words are flat out not curse words here.

Over the years, I've had occassion to interact with businesspersons from Australia and NZ and many of these folks would have a cow if they listened in. You need to remember, in America, everyone is expected to the US.

Like I said before, puritanical

May 27, 2008
Pace, FL
Umpire was wrong and quite unprofessional.

MTR is absolutely right. Umpires should never talk directly to spectators (other than maybe a polite acknowledgement of polite greetings before game or between innings). He should have had the Visitors head coach take charge of the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole