The Trend of Batting Best Slapper 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 23, 2014
I DVR almost every College Softball game and watch them when I can. So I've probably watched 6-7 games and I'm watching Georgia at S. Carolina right now. I know for sure 3 of these games featured a Slapper batting second. I like the idea and assume the lead off hitter has an equal or better OBP and decent speed. This seems to me to be a trend forming, I don't remember seeing this in any game last year.

Interestingly enough the lead off hitter in this game is 2 for 2 so far with 2 home runs (Alaynie Page). Slapper (Alexis Mack) is 1 for 2 with a single. Announcers said SC was struggling to get the lead off on base in previous games and thus made the change, and pondered if they need to move her to 3rd.

Went back and found that lead off had Avg .385 & .400 OBP
2nd (slapper) was Avg .330 & .361 OBP

Interested in different thoughts and your situation.

It really depends on your personnel. Having a non-slapper hit in front of your best slapper has some advantages, especially if you have a monster to hit third behind the slapper.

If I move my top slapper into the #2 hole, it is because I am looking for a big inning based on our history with a certain team or pitcher. I usually do it to protect the lead runner (my leadoff hitter for the game) because I and the defense both know that if they even think about that lead runner, my top slapper is going to be safe at 1B. I don't mean if they "check" the lead runner .... I really do mean if they even think about her, she will be safe. Then I have two on and and two consecutive RBI machines coming to the plate.

It is like the old major league habit of putting a really good RBI guy in the #5 hole to "protect" the cleanup hitter. I put my top slapper in the #2 hole to protect my #1 hitter after she has reached base. The girl I would lead off in this instance is a .500 + hitter who leads the team in doubles and triples, so there frequently is no force out .... the defense has to make a choice and there can be no thought on their part .... everyone on the field has to know where they are going with the ball and they have to do it instantly without hesitation or everybody is safe.

Works well for us.

The same concept can be seen when teams have two slappers in the lineup and they hit them #1 and #8 or #9. When that #8/#9 hitter is on base and the other slapper comes to the plate, the "secondary" slapper is somewhat protected by the leadoff hitter. Again, if there is even a thought of looking at the lead runner, the leadoff girl is safe and now you have two very speedy runners on base with your team's best hitter coming to the plate.

This works well, too. ;)

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Lauren Chamberlain was so successful one year teams would just walk her. I watched a video w Patty G and she said she moved Lauren to 1 spot because they had to pitch to her.

Mar 11, 2009
I have seen it work both ways. One year we had best slapper bat second behind a very high average lefty swing away hitter. We had great success, the lead off hitter did lead the team in batting average with slapper right on her tail. This year the best slapper is leading off and the high average lefty is batting third in the lineup. The slapper is leading the team in batting average, OBP and runs scored. The high average lefty is leading the team in RBI's, right on the tail of leadoff in average. We have a lower average(great bunter with occasional power) batting in the two spot. She has the most sac's on the team. However our leadoff is hitting a lot of doubles so our 2nd batter gets plenty of chances to swing away. It just depends on your staffing and how they are hitting. Both our lead off and number 3 hitter have the same amount of HR's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00