The Pitcher's Father

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Two words: Shelby Pendley.

She has a decent bat, and is a stud position player.

Oh yeah, she can pitch a little, too. She could probably catch if they needed her.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Two words: Shelby Pendley.

She has a decent bat, and is a stud position player.

Oh yeah, she can pitch a little, too. She could probably catch if they needed her.
She's awesome.... my pick for mvp or even Lauren Haeger...she's been outstanding too

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I'm finding these guys are a bit much to take. They blame the catcher for their daughter not hitting their spots. "Is she [the catcher] calling what I'm calling?" Yes, she is, but your daughter is 12 and really can't hit a spot with any consistency except the dirt in front of the plate. And then after somehow getting out of an inning where she threw 15 dirt bombs he tells the head coach "The only real problem we had out there was with passed balls". I understand it can be stressful to watch your DD pitch; she's in the spotlight, it's the most important job on the team (after catcher;) etc., but don't blame the catcher for her struggles. She's not as good as you think she is, just like everyone else's DD and like everyone else's DD she'll have some off days. That's ok. You don't need to make excuses or blame others.

Generalize much?

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I do disagree with the pitcher being the most important spot.

While we like to think this is true because it makes us feel better about being fair so we can sleep at night, I ask you to try this at your next tournament.

Send your pitcher to the mall with her friends and try to play your games without her. Like it or not, most positions can be filled if needed. The circle isn't really one of those "can be filled" positions.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
While we like to think this is true because it makes us feel better about being fair so we can sleep at night, I ask you to try this at your next tournament.

Send your pitcher to the mall with her friends and try to play your games without her. Like it or not, most positions can be filled if needed. The circle isn't really one of those "can be filled" positions.

Unless the stud catcher who used to be a pitcher, can throw in the upper 50's in cruise mode and has an outstanding Change Up can take over:rolleyes:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Still have to disagree. Saw a game where 3 out of 4 batters struck out in the inning, but because of dropped 3rd strike, team went on to rack up 6 runs in the inning with no outs. Happened for the next couple innings. You can't rely on one position to carry the team, therefore, not a single position is the most important.

This is like a verbal Escher painting.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If pitchers are not the most important then why are they the only players with a W-L stat? How do you explain that a number one pitcher might have a 20-1 W-L and a number 2 might have a 10-10 record for the same team when the number 1 is usually pitching against better teams?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g