The Pitcher's Father

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
My daughter is 10 and the starting pitcher on our travel team. I also manage the team. Only time I say it was the catchers fault is if it hits her glove and falls out.

I do disagree with the pitcher being the most important spot. To me there isn't one spot more important then the other. I have seen teams with great pitchers and catchers that were horrible every where else. Once the batters caught up to the pitch and started hitting, it was all over.

Show me a team without a good pitcher, and I'll show you a team that losses a lot. Fielding? Hitting? None of that matters if your pitcher stinks. On the other hand, show me a team with a lights out pitcher, and that team will win many games 1-0 or 2-1. Pitcher is absolutely the most important person on the team.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Show me a team without a good pitcher, and I'll show you a team that losses a lot. Fielding? Hitting? None of that matters if your pitcher stinks. On the other hand, show me a team with a lights out pitcher, and that team will win many games 1-0 or 2-1. Pitcher is absolutely the most important person on the team.

Still have to disagree. Saw a game where 3 out of 4 batters struck out in the inning, but because of dropped 3rd strike, team went on to rack up 6 runs in the inning with no outs. Happened for the next couple innings. You can't rely on one position to carry the team, therefore, not a single position is the most important.

Feb 7, 2013
Still have to disagree. Saw a game where 3 out of 4 batters struck out in the inning, but because of dropped 3rd strike, team went on to rack up 6 runs in the inning with no outs. Happened for the next couple innings. You can't rely on one position to carry the team, therefore, not a single position is the most important.

Ok, drop Cheridan Hawkins (Pitcher 1.19 ERA) from the University of Oregon softball program and you still think they would be the Top 2 team in D1? They would be lucky to be ranked in the Top 10 is my guess. Now drop their Right Fielder (whoever that is) and see if Oregon drops in the polls. My guess is not much impact since they probably have a back-up RF that is just about as good.

Any rationale person would surmise that Cheridan is more valuable to her team's success than their RF.....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I do disagree with the pitcher being the most important spot. To me there isn't one spot more important then the other. I have seen teams with great pitchers and catchers that were horrible every where else. Once the batters caught up to the pitch and started hitting, it was all over.

Have you ever coached a team or gone through a REC league "draft"? I don't want to put pitchers on too high a pedestal, but they are the only player that touches the ball on every pitch......

Nov 18, 2013

Show me a Dad who thinks "Pitcher is absolutely the most important person on the team" and I'll show you the stereotype from the OP. Pitching is important, but wins are a team effort. Strong defense will hide a lot of the pitchers mistakes and a weak defense will allow runs no matter how good the pitcher is.

Mar 3, 2015
Michigan
Just 1 question for the PC crowd out there: If a college coach has a choice between a stud pitcher, or a stud (pick your position), all other things being equal, who do you think the pick? Every position is important, no doubt, but pitching is just more important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi