The LSU Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
What I continue to find interesting is that Pujols says that move is what he is trying to feel, and does a very similar move in the batter's box prior to the pitch. Yet, when he hits the ball, you don't really see a trace of it. So, what's going on? Why would he describe and practice something that we don't see him do when he takes a real swing?

I'm curious to hear an explanation....or even some guesses.

Eric, I think you have nailed it yourself. It is about developing an internal feel. For instance, I have practiced many hours with both of my DDs. Sometimes they show some very promising Tee swings including great forward by coil, connection, sudden barrel turn and launch, etc. Then in game, we often see effort to get level with the ball and some bat drag. One coach witnessed this in game and in the next pregame, suggested the cue of knob to the ball. DD processed this in her own way, and ended up having one of her best games. She did not have perfect high level swings, but she did not end up with weak push swings either. I think the cue combined with hours of practice geared towards a "high level swing", met somewhere in the middle and she ended up with a more direct hand path, short to the ball. This is something we are currently trying to build on.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Okay. It's about a feel they are trying to achieve. I get that. Isn't Pujols also describing a feel in this demonstration?...
34dmys0.gif

Even demos the 'feel' on deck.
Pujolsondeck.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If 'we' are practicing a 'feel' in a drill. Why not practice a 'feel' of how 'we' want to really swing in a game.
TeeDrillRH.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Are denying that pre contact extension exists in a "real" swing?

Is that how the young man swings in a real game?

Mann,
This is what is referred to as 'STRAWMAN'. I will answer your question with a gif:
2guwp50.gif

20a81ar.gif

I believe in 'extend into and through contact'.
Is that how the young man swings in a real game?
I'll bet he doesn't push the 'knob to the ball' in his game swing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Pujolsondeck.gif

Not the same swings JMHO. Top swing 'turns the barrel to the ball'
Bottom swing gif moves hands forward then turns the barrel out front of his body.

Yes. That was my point. Why is he practicing something on deck that he doesn't do in his swing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55