The LSU Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Your not saying 12u, 14u, 16u, & 18u pitchers are any different. You're not saying the pitchers get faster....the ball will be moving...spinning more.....are you. I won't have time to move my hands forward.....move the knob towards the big all slow softball and flick my bat at the ball. Oh my.....:(

RDB...you forgot "SARCASM FONT on" "/SARCASM FONT off"

LOL

CP

May 24, 2013
So Cal

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
ngzi4j.gif

34dmys0.gif

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Apparently, FFS was referencing a thread supporting his statement about how college players ignore their coaches. It's good to see that thread again, though.

I'm not even sure it's just the player ignoring the coach...I think some of it is the player really is not cognizant of their movement patterns...Not to de-rail this thread but this video of Kevin Long and Arod is hilarious...the cover pic is just fabulous too LOL
516sChWF7JL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

No offense CJ but Long is a professional hitting coach...does Arod's game swing look anything like the video? Arod's not ignoring his coach - at least in the cage session - but his "translation" of this does not carry over to game swings...Does any professional hitter have a movement pattern that is anywhere close to what Long calls "perfect?"?

To that point, a long time ago when I read Jack Nicklaus' book "Golf My Way" I remember he talked about a 2 year period in the early 70's where he was hitting a draw instead of his trademark high fade...he even said he had no idea why this started happening...

Lastly, I have a fair amount of interaction with local D1 coaches...this place would chew most of them up and spit them out when it came to talking\teaching high level hitting or pitching...CP

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What I continue to find interesting is that Pujols says that move is what he is trying to feel, and does a very similar move in the batter's box prior to the pitch. Yet, when he hits the ball, you don't really see a trace of it. So, what's going on? Why would he describe and practice something that we don't see him do when he takes a real swing?

I'm curious to hear an explanation....or even some guesses.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
What I continue to find interesting is that Pujols says that move is what he is trying to feel, and does a very similar move in the batter's box prior to the pitch. Yet, when he hits the ball, you don't really see a trace of it. So, what's going on? Why would he describe and practice something that we don't see him do when he takes a real swing?

I'm curious to hear an explanation....or even some guesses.

I'll defer to my Nicklaus comment above as my guess...the player really doesn't "know"

CP

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'll defer to my Nicklaus comment above as my guess...the player really doesn't "know"

CP

I'll buy that as a definite possibility.

My thinking is that maybe it's more about internal feel than just what we can see on video. I'm starting to wonder if we spend too much time looking at short slo-mo clips and single frames in an attempt to understand what's going on, but we're missing the rest of the picture by looking too closely at the surface. A big thing missing in the Pujols "knob push" clip is the rest of his swing - lower body drive/rotation, lateral tilt, etc. Swinging a heavy wood bat at full speed adds forces that don't exist when doing a slow speed demonstration. Likewise, a partial swing (or drill) with just the arms doesn't include the effects of the other parts of a full swing.

Still curious about other peoples' thoughts/explanations/guesses...

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Yet, you've seen the DVD and have know ideal what Bustos is demoing.
I'm not guessing it is a bad swing.
sndu35.gif

BustosFriend.gif

Thanks for the compliment. No students. Just a DD that still plays at 16 yrs old and does OK. I get feed back all the time from her coaches(high school & tourney ball). Feed back from her teammates. Feed back from other parents. Seems everyone agrees DD is doing OK.
I'll prove it any time you want. You post your DD's game swing...then I'll post my DD's game swing.
Thanks in advance.

Really...:)

The post you show of the girl in orange played 4 years of paid (full ride) college softball
You and ffs are such a joke

Just a FYI...her brother also a Howard student got a ride in college.
Stick to being a dad trying to help his daughter and your buddy, I hope is a better coffee shop manager on how he treats his employees than giving advice on hitting.

SL

Last edited: