The bow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I have deleted this video because, when originally posted, I had no idea it would cause such a ruckus and I also should not have posted a video with others in the background

To all involved.....Sorry for the trouble I've caused

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It is not unusual--which doesn't mean it is right. Monica Abbott does a variation of "the bow". Very few pitchers do it.

The problem is that she is using a lot of energy which she is doing it. It doesn't seem like much when she throws 100 pitches. But, in her later years, she might have to pitch 4 or 5 games in a day, so she needs to conserve every ounce of her energy. You start adding game pitches and warm up pitches, and she could be doing a 1000 bows during a day.

I can see she is a teenager...so I'm sure she really likes suggestions from mom and dad. It might help to get a video of her favorite pitcher.

Aug 21, 2008
I agree with Slam, what a cool place.

I typically don't comment much on these clips but, something really stuck out at me in the background of your DD's pitching video here. The pitching coach in the background. Is he serious? He showed that other girl where her "drag" was but the girl was completely crowhopping!!! What drag? And he wasn't even talking about the drag AFTER the jump. Listen, I'm not one who gets on here and goes crazy about crowhopping like so many others do. But this guy needs to go back to pitching school!!!!!!

As for your daughter, I would get rid of that bend. It's hurting her mechanics. Pure and simple. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh. Yes, Abbott can do it, but she's also 6 foot and that gives her leverage to overcome some mechanical "deficiencies". By the looks of this footage, is she trying to throw different pitches here? It appears she does a few different deliveries, which is also something I would recommend NOT doing.

Bill

Joe

Oct 20, 2009
I never comment on the threads, but the question was the video and the bend at the start. I agree with Ray. I believe if you want to comment and are a so called expert you should come with solutions to what you see. I give these coaches alot of credit for their hard work and dedication. The minor crowhop I see in the background is very common and not easy to correct. Will it be called? Maybe. I use video to show students and then work with an ankle velcro wrap and surgical tubing to create resistance. Also will use a small towel under the drag foot. It takes time.
I have never heard anything positive or helpful come from the one post. When you have years of expierience coaching girls you never shy away from learning. If you give back you may receive. I feel for the person you ripped. Joe

Aug 21, 2008
I read and re-read Joe's post about 5 times and am still shaking my head. He's all over me for not offering advice on fixing the issue that is asked, yet he avoids the question himself. Instead, he offers advice on the crowhopper in the background, which is baffling itself. Velcro wrap? Surgical tube? Towel under the foot? Hey Joe... crow hopping is because the pitcher has a "pause" or a "hitch" in the arm circle. The girl in this video's "hitch" was at about 12:00 using a clock scale. The "hitch" happens at the precise moment the back foot goes sideways. Without the pause in the arm circle, the foot doesn't have a chance to go sideways or the crow hop to happen. Not everyone who crowhops has the same spot for the arm pause (or hitch) but they all do it. Like the old saying "Not all dogs are poodles, but all poodles are dogs". So you can use towels, you can use velcro, or whatever you want but to fix a crow hop, you need to fix the hands.

Pitchmom, I'd be very curious to know where you are from.

Bill

Oct 19, 2009
My daughter pitched using the bow when she was 12 she pitched in 14 U division. The reason she pitched using the bow was she was trying to imitate Abbott who she saw pitch in person in college. She discovered she was more accurate throwing strikes and she was faster, at 12 she was 57-59 and ever know and then she would get in 60-61. She had 2 pitches the fast ball and change-up.

She was successful and worked on her own mostly, with a little help from me because I did not know much about softball pitching. In games she would get 2 quick strikes and then the good hitters would foul balls back until she made a mistake. So we decided to go to a coach that could teach her to throw breaking pitches.

The first coach was a really nice guy who I later discovered sent his daughter to another pitching coach and he taught what his daughter taught him that she learned from her coach, he had a lot of students by the way. After a year her speed was 53-56 and when I discovered he sent his daughter to another coach we changed to the guy she is with now, she is 16.

The first guy stopped her from doing the bow, because he advised that she would get too tired and after a few games would not be effective. The guy she is taking lessons with now advised that this motion continued over a long period of time could cause, back, leg and spine problems. My daughter did discover that her curve, rise, screw and drop have less action with the bow delivery. Everyone is different so I can’t say other than it was for her the breaking balls has less movement, others could be different.

I thought my daughters experience may help your daughter and you.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
I just got in a read the responses. Let's see if I can remember everything.
'
1. The place is called West Coast Fundamentals and it is a cool place.
2. The girl in the background,...I kmow nothing about her, but I did notice her hopping and thought it was weird.
3. The velcro on my DD's arm is because she has a tendancy to bend it when doing her windup. The throwing arm....yes, we have noticed that at times, she bends it (doesn't keep it in a full circle), and we (I mean her pitching coach) is really trying to correct that. Like I said, this video is a few months old and she is getting much better.
4. My daughter saw a high school pitcher do the bow and wanted to try it. I tried to talk her out of it because I agree that she does waste a lot of energy that way, but she really is much more accurate doing the bow.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1