The bat slayer strikes again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 3, 2014
How does storing them cold damage them? My kids will leave them in their bags, inside the garage sometimes if there is nothing going on the next day. The night before, we will make a point to bring them in. But, they we just go play dome ball and it's darn near as cold in the dome as it is outside, just not windy. But if we just bring them in and get them warm before using them, does storing them in the cold garage damage them somehow?

On a side note, it's interesting to be watching softball while tons of snow periodically sheds and slides down the side of the dome, crashing loudly to the ground and parking lot outside. 29dad knows what I'm talking about I'm sure. If we didn't use our composite bats in the cold up here, we wouldn't use them much at all. Go Gophers!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
How does storing them cold damage them? My kids will leave them in their bags, inside the garage sometimes if there is nothing going on the next day. The night before, we will make a point to bring them in. QUOTE]

Bats are like most things that should be stored at room temp. I got the DD the LXT this season and it says don't use below 60 degrees. While storing in the garage is not using below 60, to me it shouldn't be kept in below 60 degrees for extended periods, ie. 12+hours. From what I've heard/read composite will freeze and crack on the inside of the barrel weakening the bat. One pieces are usually stronger than multiple 2-4 piece bats.

Just my thoughts, I wouldn't use a bat too far below the recommended temp or store them there either. If it's going to be below freezing I would bring them inside.

Dec 7, 2011
How does storing them cold damage them? My kids will leave them in their bags, inside the garage sometimes if there is nothing going on the next day. The night before, we will make a point to bring them in. But, they we just go play dome ball and it's darn near as cold in the dome as it is outside, just not windy. But if we just bring them in and get them warm before using them, does storing them in the cold garage damage them somehow?

On a side note, it's interesting to be watching softball while tons of snow periodically sheds and slides down the side of the dome, crashing loudly to the ground and parking lot outside. 29dad knows what I'm talking about I'm sure. If we didn't use our composite bats in the cold up here, we wouldn't use them much at all. Go Gophers!

I work for a product development engineering firm. When we want to do accelerated life testing guess what we do? Yes we temperature cycle things and they break or fall apart faster.

Temperature cycles make a material go through extreme expansions and contractions that assist in breaking down the fiber bonds in materials.

Jan 3, 2014
Thanks guys. I'll keep them inside the house now when it's cold out. I don't think we'll stop using them come game time, no matter what the temperature. I guess it's just another cost we carry living in the frozen North.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole