The bat slayer strikes again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
To encourage my pitchers to pitch inside more, I have offered to buy the entire team milkshakes for every bat they break this year.

Apr 1, 2010
2 Worth FPL410 454 legit drop 10 (orange and white), 1 Worth FPL49 454 legit drop 9. All 2013 year models.

Now that I think about it, I believe both FPL410 bats broke during warm ups, one hitting soft toss into a net and the other hitting front toss TCB balls. Those two times would have been barrel contact (for the bat's last straw).

I honestly don't know about the latest contact. I saw her swing and start running and I realized the ball wasn't doing much. I didn't realize that bat had broken until her coach showed it to me. I guess I'm not a good witness! :)

Dec 7, 2011
2 Worth FPL410 454 legit drop 10 (orange and white), 1 Worth FPL49 454 legit drop 9. All 2013 year models.

Now that I think about it, I believe both FPL410 bats broke during warm ups, one hitting soft toss into a net and the other hitting front toss TCB balls. Those two times would have been barrel contact (for the bat's last straw).

I honestly don't know about the latest contact. I saw her swing and start running and I realized the ball wasn't doing much. I didn't realize that bat had broken until her coach showed it to me. I guess I'm not a good witness! :)

Ah crud - I guess I shouldnt expect much from the 2014 Worth FPSICK -10 I just got new for DD (cuz her college team is a Worth team).

So they just go "dead" all of a sudden but not catostrophically? (crack in half or something obvious)?

Dec 19, 2012
Years ago my dd had a first generation demarini vendetta. It was a 32-20 and he was 11 years old. With that bat's last swing, when she hit the ball it sounded like a cannon went off.....BOOM! The barrel of the bat flew between the ss and 3b and went into left field. The ball went about 15 feet. So in her case the bat broke in half.

Apr 1, 2010
I feel stupid asking, but I have never seen this. Does it literally break in half, or is it a cracking?

It's a cracking. A slit opens up (horizontally across the handle area, not up and down the length of the bat) and it's then possible to grab one end of the bat in each hand and flex it open/break it further. We usually try to leave it pretty much alone, but DD tries to hold up for pics in such a manner that the bend/angle can be seen.

You do want to be careful; I've heard that you can get nasty splinters from the composite fibers once a bat is broken.

Apr 1, 2010
Ah crud - I guess I shouldnt expect much from the 2014 Worth FPSICK -10 I just got new for DD (cuz her college team is a Worth team).

So they just go "dead" all of a sudden but not catostrophically? (crack in half or something obvious)?

With the one-pieces, it's a crack, but the bat usually stays in one piece. The only bat I saw fly catastrophically was a two-piece and that was last year after the girls had batted in the cold. The other two-pieces that broke had an issue with the join not holding up, causing the handle to telescope into the barrel. My DD is the only girl on her team who's been unlucky enough to break any of the Worth one-pieces.

We're probably going to replace with a -9 Sick. The Worths are hot bats, but keep your receipt just in case, RubberBiscuit!

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
My DD has a Worth 454 Legit Lite and it has had no issues. Used it in Cold weather since it's a one piece and usually they hold up better in colder weather. Their is a dead spot in the barrel now after about 2 years but i haven't seen these bats break before. Are the bats being stored in colder temps like a garage or car? I make my DD bring her bag inside daily to hopefully prevent this issue, but if you're getting a replacement bat it's probably from the same defective lot as the one that broke which will naturally produce the same issue.

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, I'm hunting for an old metal beater bat in 33/24. I'd settle for 33/23, 33/25 or 34/24 (bidding on one of those now), just to get something sturdy and cheap in her hands.

The catch is, it's got to be a Worth bat--Coach won't let them carry any other brand in their bag. I don't want to spend more than about $25-30. DH about goes nuts every time a bat shows up on the doorstep. Maybe if I gather up all the old bats she's outgrown and take the lot to PIAS, I can both clear some space for and fund another acquisition. :)

Apr 1, 2010
My DD has a Worth 454 Legit Lite and it has had no issues. Used it in Cold weather since it's a one piece and usually they hold up better in colder weather. Their is a dead spot in the barrel now after about 2 years but i haven't seen these bats break before. Are the bats being stored in colder temps like a garage or car? I make my DD bring her bag inside daily to hopefully prevent this issue, but if you're getting a replacement bat it's probably from the same defective lot as the one that broke which will naturally produce the same issue.

Yep, my kid's the only one on the team who's managed to break a Worth 454 one-piece. All the others are fine, even last year's orange and white 454 that the coaches use to hit fly balls and grounders in practice--and that thing has taken a ton of hard hits and miss-hits from grown men.

We've been storing the bats in the house during the winter, but out in the garage or car during the other 3 seasons. Maybe they're still getting too cold?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole