Tennessee coaches unhappy with California pitcher's shoe flap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Has nothing to do with work ethic and it is rarely intentional from the onset. She has not fixed it because as now folks are making excuses for her and finding ways around the issue. It is a defect in her mechanics. Poor mechanics is poor mechanics. Illegal is illegal.

Be careful what you wish for when you suggest surrender on the issue. As the gap between the really good pitchers and the average will widen significantly.

She has probably pitched like that since she was 10....and no one ever called her on it. She would rarely be called on it in college until she got to the WCWS. Someone Riseball and I both know is going to have the same problem at UF next year!

Jun 18, 2010
22415-sports-softball.6530-650_zpsuj6ijrws.jpg

Jun 18, 2010
Release: Monday 02/23/2015

San Francisco -- California sophomore Katie Sutherland-Finch won three games in the circle this past week to take home Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week, the second week in a row a Golden Bear has won the award.

Oregon’s Jenna Lilley was voted Player of the Week and Utah’s Katie Donovan earned Freshman of the Week honors.

At the highly competitive Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic in Palm Springs, Calif. this weekend, Sutherland-Finch helped the Bears to two wins, adding to her win over crosstown rival St. Mary's earlier in the week. The Cal ace racked up four complete-game performances in 26 innings in the circle, allowing 22 hits and just four earned runs for a 1.08 ERA and only five walks through four games.

Sutherland-Finch turned in her best performance of the year against 10th-ranked Tennessee, setting a new career-high with nine strikeouts while holding the Lady Volunteers to five hits in a complete-game shutout victory.

Two days later, Sutherland-Finch picked up her fifth win on the year when she threw six innings against LIU Brooklyn in a six inning, 11-1 victory. The sophomore gave up one unearned run and struck out two to help the Golden Bears improve to 13-1 on the season.

Earlier in the week, Sutherland-Finch tossed a then-season high six strikeouts and three-hit the Gaels.

Cal went 3-1 this week with the sophomore in the circle as she lowered her ERA to 2.42 and is now 5-1 in eight appearances in 2015.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Got to love the law of unintended consequences. If the NCAA comes out and says no more to The Flapper does she sit for the rest of the season? Cal has basically admitted she cannot throw a legal pitch. If she returns to the circle sans The Flapper she will be squarely in the crosshairs of every base umpire. If the NCAA does nothing or rules that it is legal, where does it end? Absurdly large goalie like shin guards for catchers to prevent passed balls?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
By the way - obviously if Tennessee would have beaten Cal this would just be an amusing story...perhaps this allows Ms. Weekly to blame something other than her own team for losing 1-0??...Just a thought...

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
But if altering your shoe is also within the rules then how is that cheating?

The rule book can't cover every single thing that somebody might do - it would have to be 2,000,000 pages. But I think that we can all agree that this is opening a can of worms. Maybe the rule book needs to be 2,000,000 pages to cover all the idiot things that people may try in order to break the rules.

For me, her stats and wins since adding the flap are tarnished - obviously her leap is so pronounced that no umpire would let her pitch without calling it an illegal pitch. I guess if you don't like a rule (and in this case a very fundamental rule that is taught from the very beginning) find a way around it. Makes me ill.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
i think the more egregious ip is the crow-hop/re-plant but have to admit "the flapper" takes the leap to a whole new level!!

To me a crow-hop is when the pitcher "replants" her cleat and pushes off a second time, while a leap is both feet in the air, but the pitcher's push leg lands on the toe and does not "replant". Is that correct?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck