Tennessee coaches unhappy with California pitcher's shoe flap

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
To me a crow-hop is when the pitcher "replants" her cleat and pushes off a second time, while a leap is both feet in the air, but the pitcher's push leg lands on the toe and does not "replant". Is that correct?
It's a leap as soon as both feet are in the air - it doesn't matter what happens after that.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So here is the POY from last year. I don't remember anyone getting up in arms about Waldrop at any point. So I guess because it is not as severe it must be OK? otherwise how did all those folks vote for her to be POY?

lw1_zpsf5xsgnes.gif

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So here is the POY from last year. I don't remember anyone getting up in arms about Waldrop at any point. So I guess because it is not as severe it must be OK? otherwise how did all those folks vote for her to be POY?

Personally I thought her getting POY was a travesty as it was blatant cheating on her part. But not nearly as bad as the NCAA umpires not having the stones to enforce the rules of the game.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Blues didn't vote her POY, not that I think she deserved it. I think they missed by a mile on POY but it's subjective ;)

I think she ended up with more IP's than Nevins was called for the year before but that isn't saying much.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2014

lw1_zpsf5xsgnes.gif

I know the perfect Bette Midler song to go with this video.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Wasn't Carda in the top three last year as well? That makes two blatant leapers in the top three right? I think Escobedo was in the mix somewhere as well as was Nevins...Ya'll get my drift.

The leap is so common among elite college pitchers that enforcement is IMPOSSIBLE without grinding the game to a halt. That is why it is overlooked so much, that and the crazy punishment that runners advance is too severe. So when a player is called for it they have every right to complain about uneven enforcement. So if the rule is going to be unevenly enforced then I say go ahead and wear a clown shoe to give the ump a reason not to call it at all.

The rule just needs to be changed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Wasn't Carda in the top three last year as well? That makes two blatant leapers in the top three right? I think Escobedo was in the mix somewhere as well as was Nevins...Ya'll get my drift.

The leap is so common among elite college pitchers that enforcement is IMPOSSIBLE without grinding the game to a halt. That is why it is overlooked so much, that and the crazy punishment that runners advance is too severe. So when a player is called for it they have every right to complain about uneven enforcement. So if the rule is going to be unevenly enforced then I say go ahead and wear a clown shoe to give the ump a reason not to call it at all.

The rule just needs to be changed.

I agree something needs to be done and soon. None the less all deserve asterisks next to their career stats and accomplishments as they did not earn them by competing honorably. Rationalize it all you want but at the end of the day they cheated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtgeremesz