Switching Teams Early?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2011
Not everyone is lucky enough to find a team with the right fit team right away. Her career is short. In the end you have to do what's best for your DD. Sometimes its staying... sometimes its going... good luck!

Jun 21, 2010
Just thought I would update our situation.

DD did switch to another team. Her new coach knew of her and had asked her several times to come play for him. She politely declined. I asked him if his roster was set for spring. Had some meetings with his assistants, parents, and the girls.

She has great communication with all the coaches. It's so nice to see her happy playing softball again. She now bats third in the lineup. Always plays Sundays. All the girls love her and her confidence has gone way up.

Some highlights since she switched. Team was second in first tournament she played in. Went 3-0 on a a Saturday in another tournament to be the 1st seed in their pool. Battled Sunday, but didn't have it in them to finish. Another tournament 5-0 in pool play. 1st in their pool but lost to the might NW Xplosion ( you want to see some amazing hitting this is the team to watch for at Nationals in San Diego 14U ). Icing on the cake. Played her former team she switched from and beat them! 5-3 with a grand slam ( not my DD ) to boot! They, former team, went 4-1 for the weekend. Two delayed steals home--different games and weekends. She saw it and communicated it to her coach who gave her the green light. One was in front of a college coach who was in her dugout. He was so excited for her.

Interestingly, two girls quit the other team before a big tournament.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I guess i'm old school. When we commit to a team, we commit for the season. Obviously if there was abuse or bullying that would be different, but in general I really believe that players need to honor their commitments. Does she really want to let her teammates and coaches down just before the season is about to begin? Obviously do what you think is best. But I think switching now for the reasons you stated is poor form.

I think it's a very fine line you describe. As many of you know, my daughter broke away from her HS coach's summer team before the second practice, before any tournament. This is clearly not as bad as deciding you want to leave midway through the season when it's more difficult to adjust.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I had players get poached from my team after our tournament this past weekend. Via email. The coach who took them was their league coach as well. Leaves me in a bind for my next two tournaments. Gonna leave me short players and it's our biggest tournament to date. Long run we will be better off but that rubs me the wrong way. At least tell me face to face, not a late night email thinking I wouldn't see it til the morning except for the fact I was up studying the scorebook preparing practice plans, doing stats and preparing for the next tournament.

He sold them a bill of goods. I know every girl on his team. I'll take my lineup any day.

Glad your DD is doing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi