Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RD I don't follow you. Not seen here is the number of times she hit the back tee. They are in line, she is not swinging to the side she is staying over it.
Please elaborate further what you would like to see different. I would agree she needs more stretch/separation and the lower body to fire first.

I see the blur here as just barely over the rear tee ....

2dkwei8.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DeZObOd.gif

Well, watch the top of the barrell go beside the back tee pole. Slow it down and you will see that it goes beside the back tee. Your DD has 'figured out' to prevent hitting the back tee because I'm sure she has been told that is bad. Watch her rearside 'stall' as your DD pushes out her butt then swings.

Hitting the back tee would not be 'bad' .... that said, this drill has forced her to activate her hands/forearms earlier than she was doing ... and it is the sense of activating her hands/forearms in her game swing that is missing.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Got it. I can see some usefulness in hand path, but I consider barrel path to be more "behind and through". IMO, the back tee inhibits the "behind" part of that. Eric's post hints at the same thing I am talking about.

Good point.

I made some GIFs a while back in which it was shown that good hitters would hit the rear tee. Not near my stash of videos at the moment. Perhaps RDBass might be able to put some of them up.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One more from the same session in case it adds anything to the discussion

I see the barrel over the rear tee here as well. I also see the improved "short-to" / "around" that is missing from her regular game swing. Unfortunately I still see the rear leg not working first.

Thought ... most people use their rear leg correctly when performing an overhand throw ... and many do so naturally when they perform a sidearm throw. Have your daughter perform a sidearm throw and see if her rear leg and throwing motion are naturally in sync ..... if so, then it's simply a matter of translating the natural sidearm throwing motion to her swing. A common approach that I find myself using quite a bit.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Just curious what you mean by this ^...fail now, or fail later?

What I mean is that this movement pattern, in which the hands lead the lower body, will not work against good pitching.

When teaching someone how to hit ... it helps to first make sure they have the basic sequence intact, which is not the case in this tee swing.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Stick
Have your dd start her hands were she drops them to. Top hand index finger around the ear hole in the helmet.
Next think throwing. Hand stretch's back level, parallel to the ground, as you step out to toe touch.
Same with hitting. Hands stretch back, level to the ground, around ear hole height, as you step out to toe touch.

These two simple things will fix her hand dropping and improve her sequence.

Have fun

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Stick

FYI
The good news is:
You don't need MLB swings, golf swings, or fancy medical terms to fix your little daughters swing....:D

SL

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Stick
Have your dd start her hands were she drops them to. Top hand index finger around the ear hole in the helmet.
Next think throwing. Hand stretch's back level, parallel to the ground, as you step out to toe touch.
Same with hitting. Hands stretch back, level to the ground, around ear hole height, as you step out to toe touch.

These two simple things will fix her hand dropping and improve her sequence.

Have fun

SL

One thing to add...

The timing has to be right so the hands are STILL going back as the hip/knee is going forward. Overlap.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nt3imqSNZ71usf292o1_400.gif

Welcome back SL....Hope all is well.

I'll add have your DD hit line drives with this set up....if unable to then something is wrong with the set up causing your DD to not be able to hit line drives.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207