Swing feedback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
DeZObOd.gif

Question: were the 2 poles lined up one in front of the other.
If they were, your DD is now swinging to the side of the back pole. This is now causing your DD to swing at the front tee as if it was an outside pitch. Not the bat path I would like to see nor body positions I would like to see on an outside pitch.

Opps, I'm guilty of that also. So, I'll bail also.

RD I don't follow you. Not seen here is the number of times she hit the back tee. They are in line, she is not swinging to the side she is staying over it.
Please elaborate further what you would like to see different. I would agree she needs more stretch/separation and the lower body to fire first.

May 22, 2012
This high rear tee drill is just him trying to fix the DBSF it doesn't show her actual swing. That game footage is her natural swing.
Stickpile-do you ever do the "ball drop" drill? Where she gets loaded and you hold a ball about as high as her head and just drop it for her to hit? It can be very revealing in separating "swing" issues from "load" issues.

JJ I think the closest I have to that is this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
RD I don't follow you. Not seen here is the number of times she hit the back tee. They are in line, she is not swinging to the side she is staying over it.
Please elaborate further what you would like to see different. I would agree she needs more stretch/separation and the lower body to fire first.

I'm seeing the bat stay inside the back tee. Maybe it's just my eyes.

I'm not a fan of teaching a down-to barrel path, which is what you're describing as the intent of the drill. A short, direct hand path is fine, but the barrel will take a different route.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

Not speaking for RD but there may be an optical illusion here due to the height of the tees. Since the bottom of the tee is cut off, it appears that the back tee is closer to her body then the front tee. I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the back tee, but I wouldn't use it personally.

May 22, 2012
Not speaking for RD but there may be an optical illusion here due to the height of the tees. Since the bottom of the tee is cut off, it appears that the back tee is closer to her body then the front tee. I believe I understand what you are trying to accomplish with the back tee, but I wouldn't use it personally.

It does look different in the video and gif compared to how it was set up. They are in line. I feel that this drill has some merit. The goal was to get her short to the ball without dropping her elbow/shoulder/hands first. IT was successful in accomplishing that, I mean after first hitting the back tee many times. Next, we will attempt the drill with a focus on more stretch, perhaps a lower hand set and firing the lower body first.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DeZObOd.gif

Well, watch the top of the barrell go beside the back tee pole. Slow it down and you will see that it goes beside the back tee. Your DD has 'figured out' to prevent hitting the back tee because I'm sure she has been told that is bad. Watch her rearside 'stall' as your DD pushes out her butt then swings.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It does look different in the video and gif compared to how it was set up. They are in line. I feel that this drill has some merit. The goal was to get her short to the ball without dropping her elbow/shoulder/hands first. IT was successful in accomplishing that, I mean after first hitting the back tee many times. Next, we will attempt the drill with a focus on more stretch, perhaps a lower hand set and firing the lower body first.

Got it. I can see some usefulness in hand path, but I consider barrel path to be more "behind and through". IMO, the back tee inhibits the "behind" part of that. Eric's post hints at the same thing I am talking about.

I'm seeing the bat stay inside the back tee. Maybe it's just my eyes.

I'm not a fan of teaching a down-to barrel path, which is what you're describing as the intent of the drill. A short, direct hand path is fine, but the barrel will take a different route.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
The hand path in this tee swing is better than in her game swing ..... but it is out of sequence, and will fail in the batter's box ... she will not be able to feel the slingshot-ing of the barrel forward, but instead will be an "all arms" swinger.

Just curious what you mean by this ^...fail now, or fail later?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA