Swimming on Game Day

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
What's your feeling about players swimming on game day? I've had parents tell me that "they'll only swim a little bit" or "they'll take a good nap after". As a coach, I say no based on how it affects my daughter but would like to hear perspectives from other coaches and parents alike.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Unless it is a big tourney, and there should not be many of these, let kids be kids. Let them set their own priorities.

No Team sleepovers when there is an early game the next day. :)

May 18, 2012
Arizona
I agree with you, lostbayou21. I don't let my kids swim on game days either. I stil remember the one day when I defied my own father and swam. I remember feeling exhausted during the game later on that night...and no doubt resulted in our only loss of the season. Maybe it was good for me to feel what it did to my body, first hand.

May 13, 2012
Just finished allstars LL 11-12yr old. My rule was out of the pool 4hrs before pract (usually either 530 or 730) same went for amusment parks. Game day big NO for either. Gives them a chance to still enjoy summer vac but also some responsibility. Sure that some cheated and I told them when I layed the rules out they if they didn't comply whether I found out or not they were letting themselves and the team down. Had no compaints from parents and some moans from players. Worked out, won district, second in state.

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
After, no problem. Morning or afternoon OF the game, I'm against. My daughter hits the wall. Of course, I don't let her spend the night with friends before a tournament either. I don't trust 11-12 year olds to go to bed at a decent hour-lol!

Guess it just depends, is it a regular night game during rec league where maybe they an afternoon pool party (school holiday), I'm just not going to make a big deal about it.

Are you out of town at a tournament where you are in the winners bracket and don't have a game until say 2:30pm and they are all splashing around the pool at noon...NO

Usually does not come into play too much because there is not that much down time if they are swimming after a game at a hotel say 6 or 7pm with a morning game again not going to make too big a deal about it as long as everyone is in bed in time to get a full nights rest (about 8 hours)

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Indoor hotel pool, fine, not too crazy. Outdoor in the sun big pool or waterpark, nope. There is plenty of time for that Monday-Thursday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028