Swimming during Tourney Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2010
I don't see anything wrong (at whatever age group or sport) for kids to hang out and swim at the end of the day in the summer. Granted, if there is an 8 am game the next morning, you don't keep the pool party going until midnight! Common sense! I have put restrictions on swimming the friday before a tournament when we are scheduled to play late on a friday night or early on a saturday morning but that's it. Girls really benefit from the team bonding time....especially in the middle or end of a tournament weekend. Oh, and I also remember reading an interview with Caitlyn Lowe a couple of years back where she said some of her best memories were hanging out at the hotel pool with her teammates when they were on the road and this was U of A (Mike Candrea). Good enough for them, it's good enough for me! :)

Dec 7, 2011
Largest high school division, and the best individual conference, in the state. For us it is 4A. We are probably better funded than most of these.

We have had great travel ball memories. The best go back to 12U, when we had a great team, and a real team atmosphere. The travel system changed for us after 12U. Players started moving all over the place. The team feel faded, and the individual chase for scholarships gained strength.

When playing for a good high school, my DD has been lifting weights all summer, and throughout the fall, twice a week for the school. Some of my DD''s teammates also play for aggressive super org's, practicing, or hitting practice, a couple times more a week. And playing almost every weekend.

My DD chooses to play for a less intensive travel group. Less practice, a few less tourney's.

I probably come on too strong in some of my positions. The reason is to recognize the inherent battle between high school softball, and travel softball. Both programs want 100% from the players. Both have something to offer. Both have trouble recognizing each other, and many times the players are caught in the middle and face tough decisions.

We just put high school ahead of travel ball. Much because our high school program is one of the best in the state, contenders every year. My DD likes high school softball better.

I have nothing against travel ball. Just try to shed light of a different perspective from big travel org's. Some players, and parents, knock high school softball as some sort of overgrown rec league, which I believe is unfounded in our case.

The best 16U or 18U gold teams can beat the best high school team. But the best high school teams can beat the majority of good travel teams. It is the handpicked superstar travel teams who rule the roost. There is no denying it.

It is the same girls though, just a different mix, with more youth mixed in the HS teams.

It was great seeing where your perspective is created. Thanks for that insight.

Here is the same from my seat -

My DD is on a big HS team in the largest division group in WI. She could play like Cat Osterman on her HS team and the best result from her four years there would be multiple offers from local D3 schools and maybe a walk-on chance a the only big D1 in the state.

Compare the perspective from my seat where TB gave my DD a D1 offer and compare that to what HS could have gotten her. Now you can understand why I scoff at HS every time I hear somebody say it's been good for DD's future. I am swayed by my experience for sure....

Apr 26, 2012
Where is this county you live in, SCDad. Is that South Carolina? Is it Southern California? We have 2 types of HS here in the Chicago area. Those that are incredibly talented and those that are not. The talented win their Divisions, go to Sectionals, State and possibly win State. My nieces team did that last year and every girl on that team is TB player. The SS as a Sophomore was being looked at by D1 coaches. Then you have the other end of the spectrum. The team takes 20girls and 4 have TB experience but want to have the HS feeling of softball. The next year they don't want to play because they get more with their TB Coach then the HS Coach. The problem is the TB Coach has more experience in most cases but the HS doesn't want to listen to anything we have to say. We stay away from the Coach because thats what we expect our parents to do. Its a catch 22 and nobody wins. Funny thing SCDAD is your ranting took this blog 100% off topic. To tell you the truth, my girls listen to me about everything. Not because I demand it, they know that I have their best interest at hand. If I say no swimming, its no. If time allows it, go ahead and always at night after games are done. The pool is closed by 10 at most hotels anyways. By the way, my other daughter is a swimmer on the HS team and Travel Swim team so I have an idea of what can and will make you tired from swimming.

Apr 26, 2012
Coach AL is 100% correct in everything he said. Especially that last sentence. Everyone wants to be like Mike. (Candrea that is)

Jul 2, 2013
Where is this county you live in, SCDad. Is that South Carolina? Is it Southern California? Funny thing SCDAD is your ranting took this blog 100% off topic.

SC the state, Upstate in particular. Yeah, I talk too much, hope you all don't mind. Local folks can figure exactly who I am if they take note. Too much info ... sigh.

A couple years ago, a new $17M, 13 field complex opened. To add to the existing 3 other complexes of 4, 4, and 5 each, for a total of 26 tournament fields in the county. We are spoiled, because we can stay home and most all SE regional college coaches come here to scout from all divisions as travel teams from throughout the SE come to play here a couple 2 or 3 times a year.

Don't know how the tax-payers put up with it. Many complain in the newspaper. But our family benefits, so we like it. Boy's benefit too for baseball.

The big softball states of CA, Arizona, FL, TX, GA is where the talent is in numbers. But a very good level of softball is played here in SC and NC, and can compete against these states without being embarrassed. The HS play is uneven, as our team run ruled half the teams, and get challenged by a dozen teams.

We swam a bunch at 12U, in between games, late, didn't matter. Don't remember it much since then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55