Swimming during Tourney Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
By far the WORST decay of talent I have ever seen was DD's 14U team at a regional tourney after the previous afternoon (bleeding into evening) allowing pool-time.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Jul 6, 2013
My team, being kids (12U), want to swim. They can, so long as we're done for the day. It's about fun. Again...not just on the field. The experience as well.

But keep in mind...it's not neccesarily the exertion in the pool that tires them. Their bodies expend a ton of energy to maintain core temperature. It seems like every hotel pool is 70 degrees (which is freezing, btw). The body can go into hypothermia in 70 degree water faster than you would think. As a result, the body expends tons of energy to keep the core warm. So even just sitting in a cool pool will tire you out.

Dec 7, 2011
By far the WORST decay of talent I have ever seen was DD's 14U team at a regional tourney after the previous afternoon (bleeding into evening) allowing pool-time.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Oh ya - clarification - Don't do it outside of HS/Rec leagues (where things really matter and big $$ are spent). HS/Rec go ahead and swim til yer pruned! :)

Jul 2, 2013
Oh ya - clarification - Don't do it outside of HS/Rec leagues (where things really matter and big $$ are spent). HS/Rec go ahead and swim til yer pruned! :)

You go to the wrong high school, and don't have a clue. Particularly about what matters and the money spent. In a real high school program, the coaches have complete control over the kids when they travel. They are delivered to the greyhound bus, and the school has official custody of them until the tournament is over, and DD is officially released back to the parents (all with signed paperwork).

The parents get a hotel room. The players are conditionally released to the parents at night around 9P and told to not leave the hotel. The parents are not allowed to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner, with DD as these are team functions without the parents.

In some parts of the country high school softball is big. And no, they are not allowed to go swimming.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
You go to the wrong high school.

I would challenge IF there exists a "right" HS.....

and don't have a clue. In a real high school program, the coaches have complete control over the kids when they travel. They are delivered to the greyhound bus, and the school has official custody of them until the tournament is over, and DD is officially released back to the parents (all with signed paperwork). The parents get a hotel room. The players are conditionally released to the parents at night around 9P and told to not leave the hotel. The parents are not allowed to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner, with DD as these are team functions without the parents

uhhh what are you telling me I don't already know?....... So ya I have a little bit of a clue fine sir.
In the reference to a HS tourney they COULD swim all day/night Friday before they get under the Nazi control of schools....

Jul 2, 2013
I ain't buying what your selling. Call it what you want ... it works. Much like the college system is done.

They do what the coaches say. They win. And the parents don't have to spend near what travel requires, mere peanuts.

So when the coaches tell them to get a good night sleep before they start to travel ... most listen. Imagine that!!

It is called being part of a real team. Not some ... gimme mine ... travel circuit

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I ain't buying what your selling. Call it what you want ... it works. Much like the college system is done.

They do what the coaches say. They win. And the parents don't have to spend near what travel requires, mere peanuts.

So when the coaches tell them to get a good night sleep before they start to travel ... most listen. Imagine that!!

It is called being part of a real team. Not some ... gimme mine ... travel circuit

Just wondering how big is your DD's HS? IMO high-level ball isn't played in HS in lots of areas of this country. And that there are some that actually have good TB experiences.

Jul 2, 2013
Just wondering how big is your DD's HS? IMO high-level ball isn't played in HS in lots of areas of this country. And that there are some that actually have good TB experiences.

Largest high school division, and the best individual conference, in the state. For us it is 4A. We are probably better funded than most of these.

We have had great travel ball memories. The best go back to 12U, when we had a great team, and a real team atmosphere. The travel system changed for us after 12U. Players started moving all over the place. The team feel faded, and the individual chase for scholarships gained strength.

When playing for a good high school, my DD has been lifting weights all summer, and throughout the fall, twice a week for the school. Some of my DD''s teammates also play for aggressive super org's, practicing, or hitting practice, a couple times more a week. And playing almost every weekend.

My DD chooses to play for a less intensive travel group. Less practice, a few less tourney's.

I probably come on too strong in some of my positions. The reason is to recognize the inherent battle between high school softball, and travel softball. Both programs want 100% from the players. Both have something to offer. Both have trouble recognizing each other, and many times the players are caught in the middle and face tough decisions.

We just put high school ahead of travel ball. Much because our high school program is one of the best in the state, contenders every year. My DD likes high school softball better.

I have nothing against travel ball. Just try to shed light of a different perspective from big travel org's. Some players, and parents, knock high school softball as some sort of overgrown rec league, which I believe is unfounded in our case.

The best 16U or 18U gold teams can beat the best high school team. But the best high school teams can beat the majority of good travel teams. It is the handpicked superstar travel teams who rule the roost. There is no denying it.

It is the same girls though, just a different mix, with more youth mixed in the HS teams.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2013
About 800 students per class. 800 Sr's, 800 Jr's, 800 Soph's.

Probably 40 try out each year. About 28 make it for JV's and V combined.

All play Travel Ball. Most that are cut also play Travel ball. Really though, almost all 7th graders who play travel, initially make the team. Then the weeding out begins. Many, like mine, may sit the bench a bunch in 7th. A character test. Stick it out, work hard, and you make the team in 8th. Many quit from this process. Mine played full on JV's in 8th. Made V in 9th, but part time. Full V in 10th for her, last year. Now in 11th, and is full member.

Our County has the highest number of softball fields, per capita, in the nation.

Last edited: