Swimming during Tourney Yes or No

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Never on game day because it saps the energy from them, especially if its outdoors on a hot day. The day before a game should be ok, but my DD had a HC who would not allow any swimming during tournament weekends period, which I think is a little unreasonable. Depending on the age of the girls, you should balance out the negative effect it might have on them for games versus wanting to let them enjoy some downtime with their teammates in relaxed and fun setting. Sometimes we parents forget that being part of a team is so much more than being out on the field, competing.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If we are traveling my bunch are in the pool or in the ocean as soon as the last game of the day is done. Our opinion is that they are kids and should be allowed to be kids - they grow up fast enough.

I expect eventually somewhere around the 12U/14U age-up time this might stop but that will be their decision for the most part. Will kind of be sad when it does.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If swimming sapped energy, why wouldn't swimmers take off the day before a meet/event? JMO, but if you hydrate properly and don't overdo it, swimming won't affect the next day's play.

Jun 1, 2013
If we are traveling my bunch are in the pool or in the ocean as soon as the last game of the day is done. Our opinion is that they are kids and should be allowed to be kids - they grow up fast enough.

I expect eventually somewhere around the 12U/14U age-up time this might stop but that will be their decision for the most part. Will kind of be sad when it does.

By letting them do this it drastically cuts down the stay up and talk all night time they seem to allot every tourny. After a hard day of softball and some hard playing time in the pool, they have a good nights rest.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I ask my team not to go swimming before a game (ie that same morning/afternoon), but after the last game it's a good way to relax, cool off, and hang out with your teammates.

Jun 11, 2012
It depends. If they seeded well and have a later start the next day then they do, if they have an early start they usually don't. They are 14U and usually make the decision on their own.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Good answers, here. Many students in Tucson have their own pool, so that isn't too interesting to them. They want to head to a water park or a place with rides. Everything in moderation, after they are done for the day. I agree that the older girls, that are serious, have learned what they can or can't do.

I received an e-mail from a parent, last month, they were new TB parents and team. The team had done great. They (this parent) were exhausted. Their daughter had went with some other parents, to mini golf. (That seemed mild enough to them.) I thought "Oh, no." It was already 8PM.

Guess, what? Two and barbecue the next day. He asked me why they would have come out so flat on day 2. I told him, they should have eaten and went to their rooms. So, it really isn't the swimming that is so awful. Running up and down the hall, can be just as bad.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207