Supination of Left (bottom) Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
Not really - I am saying that the top wrist should be in flexion and the bottom wrist should be in extension during the back swing. For a feel - without a club - put both hands together palm to palm and as you go into your back swing - the top wrist should flex and the bottom one should extend.

Now just put a club in your hand and let the wrists do the same thing and your club face will stay square. Any deviation of the wrists will open the club face and force you to re align by rotating the forearms into impact. This will also cause you to externally rotate the front shoulder (pull off) - which will cause a more over the top swing path. Externally rotating the front shoulder will also straighten out the front arm too early - you want the front arm to retain some bend going into impact and straighten during the follow through.

Releasing the club immediately just means you never ever try and hold a wrist position.

I should probably have some coffee and wake up first before posting from my phone. I was a little snappy in my reply. I am not sure I am following releasing the club immediately . Are saying the feel from the top is to have the back of your bottom hand feel like it is looking at the ball? I am probably way off here, but I need to spend more time reading through your words.

Oct 4, 2011
Okay, that's what I thought. Bottom hand in extension will feel like the back of the bottom hand is always looking at the ball.

How does this relate to the baseball swing?

Not really - I am saying that the top wrist should be in flexion and the bottom wrist should be in extension during the back swing. For a feel - without a club - put both hands together palm to palm and as you go into your back swing - the top wrist should flex and the bottom one should extend.

Now just put a club in your hand and let the wrists do the same thing and your club face will stay square. Any deviation of the wrists will open the club face and force you to re align by rotating the forearms into impact. This will also cause you to externally rotate the front shoulder (pull off) - which will cause a more over the top swing path. Externally rotating the front shoulder will also straighten out the front arm too early - you want the front arm to retain some bend going into impact and straighten during the follow through.

Releasing the club immediately just means you never ever try and hold a wrist position.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Okay, that's what I thought. Bottom hand in extension will feel like the back of the bottom hand is always looking at the ball.

How does this relate to the baseball swing?

I think you can answer your own question if you start at impact and then reverse chain back to where\how you start your swing.

Match these guys impact position with both hands and then get it back to your highest hand set:

impact.jpg

Go back and forth between these positions...at ANY point, you you feel like your wrists are static?

CP

Oct 4, 2011
When I apply what Ray is saying, the barrel will not flatten at all. I feel over the top.... I don't think I am understanding correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi