Supination of Left (bottom) Wrist

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
'Bear...

Are you consciously telling her to supinate?

If you are...

Rather than telling her to consciously supinate at impact, try starting from a dorsi-flexed wrist set - this will offset her knuckles...it may also move the handle deeper into her bottom hand and into her fingers more in her top hand. Some variation of this will have to do with how her arms hang at her side - if her thumbs point to her hips when her arms hang naturally, she will feel more comfortable with the handle higher in her fingers. If her palms face inward, the bat will be deeper into her palm. Not sure why...other than seeing this pattern consistently giving golf lessons for 10+ years....

Albert_Pujols_knuckles-300x207.jpg

And yes, this will feel weird to her because you have changed how she feels her "instrument." Have her take several practice swings with no ball gradually adding speed...then let 'er rip!

CP

PS: Doug: I cannot find FFS post which you reference...a little help? :)

Dec 16, 2010
'Bear...

Are you consciously telling her to supinate?

If you are...

Rather than telling her to consciously supinate at impact, try starting from a dorsi-flexed wrist set - this will offset her knuckles...it may also move the handle deeper into her bottom hand and into her fingers more in her top hand. Some variation of this will have to do with how her arms hang at her side - if her thumbs point to her hips when her arms hang naturally, she will feel more comfortable with the handle higher in her fingers. If her palms face inward, the bat will be deeper into her palm. Not sure why...other than seeing this pattern consistently giving golf lessons for 10+ years....

View attachment 6735

And yes, this will feel weird to her because you have changed how she feels her "instrument." Have her take several practice swings with no ball gradually adding speed...then let 'er rip!

CP

PS: Doug: I cannot find FFS post which you reference...a little help? :)

Chris

I never told her to supinate. Good thing--I mistakenly thought supinating was what Pujols was doing in your pic (dorsi-flexing). I basically showed her a dorsi-flexed grip and said "try this". She tried it at one practice and during her last tournament. Her hitting improved, but it's hard to know how much the dorsi-flexing helped. She's at an age where new personal-best performances aren't uncommon.

I hope the discussion on this continues--not confident I understand why this would be beneficial, but it seems to pass the Hanson Principle screen so I plan to encourage her to work on it this winter.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Chris

I never told her to supinate. Good thing--I mistakenly thought supinating was what Pujols was doing in your pic (dorsi-flexing). I basically showed her a dorsi-flexed grip and said "try this". She tried it at one practice and during her last tournament. Her hitting improved, but it's hard to know how much the dorsi-flexing helped. She's at an age where new personal-best performances aren't uncommon.

I hope the discussion on this continues--not confident I understand why this would be beneficial, but it seems to pass the Hanson Principle screen so I plan to encourage her to work on it this winter.

Yes, I misused the word in the title and original post. Even so, why would we use such words with our hitters. Showing what we want them to do works so much better. The same is true on this website. The clips are invaluable.

Dec 16, 2010
Yes, I misused the word in the title and original post. Even so, why would we use such words with our hitters. Showing what we want them to do works so much better. The same is true on this website. The clips are invaluable.

Yeah, the videos you posted made it clear what you meant.

Oct 4, 2011
not confident I understand why this would be beneficial, but it seems to pass the Hanson Principle screen so I plan to encourage her to work on it this winter.

IMO I believe the dorsi flexed top hand makes it easier for the barrel to travel "on plane" through contact preventing mishits/grounders. Try uncocking the bat through contact in slow motion holding the bat several different ways and watch the barrel path.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
It doesn't imo. The golf swing has a couple other variables. A club face that needs to be squared to the ball for desired ball flight and the club shaft bends forward into contact creating loft, which a bat does not.

I didn't watch the video, but that type of swing de-lofts the club face for a lower ball flight and requires the golfer to hold on and not "release" through contact (keeping club face from turning over). Great for windy play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FEXQ3mNLrE&feature=player_embedded

This is interesting stuff.

I would like to learn more about how transfers to the HLS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi