Sue Enquist takes on early recruiting...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
It occurs to me that if my DD was being scouted in 9th grade, then I would realize that I was in the driver's seat and I would dictate the flow of conversations.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It occurs to me that if my DD was being scouted in 9th grade, then I would realize that I was in the driver's seat and I would dictate the flow of conversations.

How are you in the driver's seat? Yes, if you're the #1 pitching prospect in the country. But for most, being scouted just means they're interested at that moment in time. Doesn't mean they will remain interested. Doesn't mean that they will wait for you if you are undecided. It's usually a window of opportunity. Let's say you want to play in the SEC. Ole Miss offers. They plan to take one more 2020 middle infielder and expect to fill it by Christmas. You feel fortunate to get that offer. It's the only one from the SEC so far. How are you going to dictate that situation? Tell them you won't be making any decisions until you're a junior? At some point, the train will leave the station. Any postponement of a decision is a gamble. You don't know what offers will be still be there. You don't know if DD's stock will go up or down. She might never be more attractive as a prospect than right now.

Jul 5, 2016
How are you in the driver's seat? Yes, if you're the #1 pitching prospect in the country. But for most, being scouted just means they're interested at that moment in time. Doesn't mean they will remain interested. Doesn't mean that they will wait for you if you are undecided. It's usually a window of opportunity. Let's say you want to play in the SEC. Ole Miss offers. They plan to take one more 2020 middle infielder and expect to fill it by Christmas. You feel fortunate to get that offer. It's the only one from the SEC so far. How are you going to dictate that situation? Tell them you won't be making any decisions until you're a junior? At some point, the train will leave the station. Any postponement of a decision is a gamble. You don't know what offers will be still be there. You don't know if DD's stock will go up or down. She might never be more attractive as a prospect than right now.

But a college will drop a prospect in a minute if they find somebody better. But yes, I would agree that if a player has their heart set on a particular college, then starting and building a relationship early makes sense.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But a college will drop a prospect in a minute if they find somebody better. But yes, I would agree that if a player has their heart set on a particular college, then starting and building a relationship early makes sense.

Do you mean prospect or a verbal commitment? I don't think many colleges are dropping verbally committed players in a minute. I know it happens, especially where the pressure to win is extremely high, but I don't think college coaches can succeed if they're just using their verbally recruited players as place-holders and then dumping them if they find somebody better. Others may have a different experience, but I don't see many verbally committed players get dumped.

As for who can dictate the conversation in recruiting, I think it's a simple case of which party is more eager to make a deal. It's not how good the player is, but how good she is relative to the school that's offering. A local girl here got a mid-major D-I offer in the 8th grade. She always had the upper-hand in that negotiation. She could take her time. Then an ACC school came along. So it becomes 'Am I good enough to put them off and continue to play the field, or is this about as good as it gets? Should I lock in that offer?' ... Sorta like mortgage rates, I guess.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Do the parents of boys in sports have to go through the same thing?
Are some boys verballing as early as 9th grade?
Are they emailing 10-20 schools, hoping a couple show interest in them as a recruit?
Whether it's baseball, football or whatever sport...do boys go through the same thing our DDs do when it comes to fastpitch recruitment?
Thanks

Football and Basketball are completely different animals when it comes to recruiting, if the kids are any good the schools contact them. Other boys sports, however, yes they go through a lot of the same things.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

In what way? See the problem with early recruiting is that nothing is in writing and nothing is guaranteed. That's the problem. When a 9th grade phenom is being offered a verbal, the same school might be offering (without any of the 6 families knowing) 5 other phenoms the same scholarship, no one knows for sure who really gets that scholarship for 3 more years. But it locks you up.

Riseballs suggestion cuts through all that BS, you want to offer early, fine sign a contract binding the school to the scholarship offer. That will then put the families in the drivers seat, well maybe the passenger seat, but they are out of the trunk at least.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Instead of using the term "verbal" just use the term "pinky swear" and it should make things crystal clear. Also understand that the Early Verbal Dating Rules. Once you "pinky swear" with a coach you will be expected to be off the market "no dating" and not talk to any other other coaches. Remember you are now "committed"! You can only wear their official merchandise and must post on social media and tell everyone that will listen that you will be going there. But understand that of course the coach gets to keep on dating and playing the field. And if by chance someone else comes along...understand that it was only a pinky swear. :)

Jul 5, 2016
Instead of using the term "verbal" just use the term "pinky swear" and it should make things crystal clear. Also understand that the Early Verbal Dating Rules. Once you "pinky swear" with a coach you will be expected to be off the market "no dating" and not talk to any other other coaches. Remember you are now "committed"! You can only wear their official merchandise and must post on social media and tell everyone that will listen that you will be going there. But understand that of course the coach gets to keep on dating and playing the field. And if by chance someone else comes along...understand that it was only a pinky swear. :)

Dang, Riseball. You sound like you've been left at the altar a few times. :cool:

Of course, I would imagine the problem you describe is most severe with the most prestigious programs.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Dang, Riseball. You sound like you've been left at the altar a few times. :cool:

Of course, I would imagine the problem you describe is most severe with the most prestigious programs.

Not with my DD but have seen it happen a few times. Most common scenario was when a coach resigned or was canned. The take away is that until you actually sign the NLI you have nothing, zip, zero, nada. Only the good intentions of both parties.

Feb 15, 2016
Not with my DD but have seen it happen a few times. Most common scenario was when a coach resigned or was canned. The take away is that until you actually sign the NLI you have nothing, zip, zero, nada. Only the good intentions of both parties.

You are technically absolutely correct and with a coaching change all bets are off. However, college coaches don't want to get a reputation as not honoring commitments. What I think is more common than just simply not honoring a commitment is more of a "Hey, you are still welcome to come here, but we just got a commitment from a player who we think is better than you at your position. You are in the same class and we don't anticipate you getting much playing time ever. If you would like to de-commit and look elsewhere, we understand." Did the coach just tell the player she was not wanted anymore. Yes. However, she technically honored the verbal commitment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619