Drop Dead question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2024
USA Softball. Game is tied 7-7, no outs, runner on third, batter at plate. Ump announces last batter, drop dead, batter finishes at bat. The defense walks the batter. The offensive plan was to full run the walked batter past first base, rounding to second. Third base runner has a large lead hoping that the pitcher is focused on or throwing to second, so she can steal home to win the game. After the fourth ball the ump says game and stops all play. When is the last at bat finished? Fourth ball or when the play is over?

Jun 18, 2023
wouldn't the play be just to hit the batter? dead ball, game over?

either way:

"The time at bat is the period beginning when a batter first enters the batter's box
and continues until put out or the batter becomes a batter-runner." so ump is correct.

May 29, 2015
It is whatever your tournament director says it is since that is a tournament-specific rule.

Your tournament director DID specify that in his rules, right?

<poke><poke>

Feb 16, 2024
It is whatever your tournament director says it is since that is a tournament-specific rule.

Your tournament director DID specify that in his rules, right?

<poke><poke>
The tournament director did not. It was stated drop dead, batter finishes at bat. That is what is throwing me, If a walked batter turns into a runner by advancing past 1st base, when is the play over? This created some lively discussion.

Feb 16, 2024

either way:

"The time at bat is the period beginning when a batter first enters the batter's box
and continues until put out or the batter becomes a batter-runner." so ump is correct.
Wow, I would hope intentionally hitting the batter would not be the pitch call. I'm not sure you are understanding my question. Is the "at bat" over on a walk at the time of the fourth ball or when the the walked batter stops running?

Jun 18, 2023
Wow, I would hope intentionally hitting the batter would not be the pitch call. I'm not sure you are understanding my question. Is the "at bat" over on a walk at the time of the fourth ball or when the the walked batter stops running?

the at bat ends the instant the batter becomes a batter-runner unless otherwise stated by the tournament rules.

Seems like the batter already failed by walking. Should've been making any attempt to flick the ball fair and create a live ball, and maybe deking the pitcher into throwing a game-losing wild pitch? Or the runner should've simply made a dash for it on ball 3 back to the pitcher? Nothing to lose really.

This drop dead stuff really seems to create some crazy non-standard situations.

Apr 17, 2019
Seems like the batter already failed by walking. Should've been making any attempt to flick the ball fair and create a live ball, and maybe deking the pitcher into throwing a game-losing wild pitch? Or the runner should've simply made a dash for it on ball 3 back to the pitcher? Nothing to lose really.

This drop dead stuff really seems to create some crazy non-standard situations.
Unless they did a good enough job with the ball placement and the only way to hit it would be to leave the batter's box, which would make you out.

And yeah, drop dead isn't how the game was meant to be played. At least finish the inning.

Feb 16, 2024
Unless they did a good enough job with the ball placement and the only way to hit it would be to leave the batter's box, which would make you out.

And yeah, drop dead isn't how the game was meant to be played. At least finish the inning.
Most of the games are finish the inning or revert to the last inning score. This was a little different.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

either way:

Hmm...Would the ump be correct to declare the game over the instant the batter hit a ball into fair territory?

They've become a "batter-runner" in that scenario as well.

Whether it's a base hit, a hit ball converted to an out (< 2 outs), or a walk...it's ALL still a live ball.

Any runners on base should still have the opportunity to advance...and even score.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024
Hmm...Would the ump be correct to declare the game over the instant the batter hit a ball into fair territory?

They've become a "batter-runner" in that scenario as well.

Whether it's a base hit, a hit ball converted to an out (< 2 outs), or a walk...it's ALL still a live ball.

Any runners on base should still have the opportunity to advance...and even score.
That is how I thought it should have been called. This was a round-robin tournament so the tie didn't matter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1