Struggling with the flip change.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2013
Texas
My daughter has been pitching for a year now and just turned 11. Her accuracy has really improved the last few weeks on her fastball, (36mph) according to a bushnell speedster iii. 39 when she is just throwing for speed (I realize this is on the slow side) Our/my problem is her change up. We've tried them all. I've settled on the flip change. The other change ups we've tried don't take enough off to matter. Now, she has thrown the flip change in tournaments and really faked batters out in the front of the line up. When she throws a good one, It does everything you want it to do. It's 27mph, looks like a strike, dies and falls right behind the plate. The problem is she is so wild with the pitch 80% of the time that it is ridiculous. Grounders, sky balls, hitting batters. We have been working on this for six weeks. She is not improving on it. I don't expect her to have it mastered in six weeks. The issue is when we tried it out for the first time she was throwing 20% good pitches. Now it's the same or worse. Our practices lately have been warm up and 50 change ups with a couple fastballs after every 10 change ups. Fastballs look good. Don't know what to do except plug away. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Txwalt

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Has she moved back to 40 feet and a 12 inch ball? If so, she probably is still trying to adjust. I have my students learn the CU from about 30 feet and then, move back little by little, if she is successful.

My daughter has been pitching for a year now and just turned 11. Her accuracy has really improved the last few weeks on her fastball, (36mph) according to a bushnell speedster iii. 39 when she is just throwing for speed (I realize this is on the slow side) Our/my problem is her change up. We've tried them all. I've settled on the flip change. The other change ups we've tried don't take enough off to matter. Now, she has thrown the flip change in tournaments and really faked batters out in the front of the line up. When she throws a good one, It does everything you want it to do. It's 27mph, looks like a strike, dies and falls right behind the plate. The problem is she is so wild with the pitch 80% of the time that it is ridiculous. Grounders, sky balls, hitting batters. We have been working on this for six weeks. She is not improving on it. I don't expect her to have it mastered in six weeks. The issue is when we tried it out for the first time she was throwing 20% good pitches. Now it's the same or worse. Our practices lately have been warm up and 50 change ups with a couple fastballs after every 10 change ups. Fastballs look good. Don't know what to do except plug away. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Txwalt

well without seeing her throw a change up its hard to say but from what ive seen from a few other girls most problems arise with trusting the pitch and slowing there arm down (to help slow the pitch) when the flip part of the pitch is what slows the pitch down.... you can have your arm go as fast as you can and the pitch will never be fast because your not snapping your wrist behind the pitch. so just work on fast arm and then just find the release point. hope this helps.....

Mar 7, 2012
First of all relax. I am just a dad but my dd is 12 and is a P1 in So Cal travel. The flip change was one of the hardest pitch to perfect. It will not take just 6 weeks it will take years. It is amazing how it works sometimes and not others. Over the years we have had so many tips and advice. It just takes repetition and will develop in time. Just have fun and don't worry.

Mar 6, 2013
Dont worry it will come. Make sure she doesn't change her aggressiveness from fast to CU. My DD( also 10U) started learning flip change in last October and was wild till march. And one day all of sudden during warm-up for scrimmage she throws consistently and she comes back and says "My change ups are good now" and she never looked back. Only thing I remember changing is I moved her from HE style to IR style pitching few weeks prior to that which might helped her natural flip action.
Also one thing I want to add is make sure you don't let her throw change ups until she is really warm and throws fast (drop) ball consistently. I have seen proper warming up is really important.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

Txwalt

Too late for it this year... Use flat finger knuckle ball... call it a CU... keep workin on back flip for next year... I would throw FlipCU 1-2 times in the 5 warm ups only. It is kinda Game pressure, and lets the ump see your on the right page... will get the other team waiting for it...after you win...tell them they"ll get to see it next year...JMHO

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The simple trick to a flip Chang is to release the ball even with your belt. Draw an imaginary line horizontally out in front of the belt, and do not allow the hand to come above it. Ideally, the speed on a cu should be right around 30% less than her fastest pitch

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The simple trick to a flip Chang is to release the ball even with your belt. Draw an imaginary line horizontally out in front of the belt, and do not allow the hand to come above it. Ideally, the speed on a cu should be right around 30% less than her fastest pitch

Another trick since you have one to trade... lol... is to only throw it every other time...not back to back in practice. You are wanting to throw it with the same action as all the rest of your pitches...known as "Selling it" as a faster pitch that is. You'll get a hitch in your arm circle practicing Back Flip CU...Back to back...JMHO

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug