Struggling with the flip change.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
"We" see mostly IR pitchers. Regardless of IR or Hellow Elbow we always see the skin on the back of the hand on a flip change and likewise with the roller over drop. Two easiest pitches to pick up for a batter.
I think I will have my dd stick to the flip change. It seems to work well for the men at the highest level in fast pitch. I see the horseshoe change from a mile away or deep in the pitchers hand.

Jan 25, 2011
If you want a beginning 11 year old to throw a consistent strike zone change go back to to the Horseshoe change and get a bowling wrist brace and have her pitch with that so she learns to stop snapping and slow the pitch. tell her to just release the pitch under the table and it should be flat and convincing. Last but not least bury that ball in your palm. Not a fan of the flip change .Both my DDs 11-13 throw a back door change. Nothing better than a watched strike 3 change up!

So you want to change the pitcher mechanics? The thing about the flip change is you don't have to alter the mechanics hardly at all if any, just turning the hand around just before release and it is not easy to see or notice as some say it is.

Jan 25, 2011
Honestly, I think you just have to plug away and wait. The problem is the mid-high 30s, which is where you said your daughter's fastball is sitting, is, I think, kind of a natural range for a young girl's change up. Slowing it down MORE than that is going to be really tough. So rather than trying that, I would spend more time working on the fastball mechanics and getting her general speed up. Then all of a sudden a change in the 30s is going to look good instead of the same.

As for the discussion about different change ups, it's something TOTALLY personal. One will work for one pitcher, another won't. It's not a matter of which one is the undisputed best; it's a matter of which one a given pitcher can throw consistently and comfortably.

good answer and the right one. I like the flip change, but it doesn't mean that it is the best.

May 17, 2012
So you want to change the pitcher mechanics? The thing about the flip change is you don't have to alter the mechanics hardly at all if any, just turning the hand around just before release and it is not easy to see or notice as some say it is.

Agreed. There is no way you can see the hand flip flipping before release. It's too quick. With proper IR your fastball is finishing palm down anyways.

It's safe to say some people just aren't throwing it right which is understandable for a twelve year old.

Mar 28, 2013
Yes Im talking changing the mechanics a little. My personal opinion is rotating the half a turn is much easier for a beginner than all the way around, Also the flip tends to induce waist bend/guiding the ball in young pitchers,they can practice it and find some success but in a game,mix in alittle adrenaline and most struggle with it.If we were talkin a 14-u pitcher throwing the flip it would be more feasible,older girls have a much larger hands and more body awareness. We are talking a young beginning pitcher trying to be more accurate with the change at the season start. At your next tourney watch 12u and see how many flip change pitchers can throw that pitch during a game without the giant rainbow much less a called strike.They will work on young batters. but once a good coach picks it up and tells the batters to just lay off it the pitch just becomes a ball if not a pass ball and a easy stolen base for a runner at that level . For a change to be really effective it should be somewhat flat and gravity +some spin makes it fall off the table or tail.I don't have a big hatred of the flip change but in the 3 years of west coast A TB in 12u no flip change pitcher has ever handcuffed my DDs throwing the flip.most of the time they throw a few wild rainbows or worm burners and we don't see that pitch again. I'm sure there are exceptions but I tend to coach to what reality at game time shows me.

Jan 25, 2011
bucket pinata, I tend to coach the reality of the game for when it matters, You know the older 16u & 18u.Start them out early and then by the time they are in 12u. They all ready know how to get those west coast A TB 12u players struck out with the flip change.:cool: Remeber just because your dd's can't throw the flip at a younger age, that does not mean that no girls can.;)

Mar 28, 2013
bucket pinata, I tend to coach the reality of the game for when it matters, You know the older 16u & 18u.Start them out early and then by the time they are in 12u. They all ready know how to get those west coast A TB 12u players struck out with the flip change.:cool: Remeber just because your dd's can't throw the flip at a younger age, that does not mean that no girls can.;)

Well,since the op was about a beginning 11 year old with a 39mph fastball cant quite understand the 16u-18u reference along with getting them early. So I guess you would recommend struggling from age 11-15 because once you 16 you will be a beast. OK?.I do hope the backhanded insult at a 11 and 13 year old made your day.:)

May 7, 2013
Texas
Thanks for the responses. We will continue to work on getting her speed up on the fastball. She doesnt slow down on her change up. She has to give it her full effort to get it there. We will try working on it at a closer distance then moving back. I think my expectations might have been to high when we started working on the flip change. We will continue to plug away at. Maybe in another 6 weeks i can post some positive comments about her progress. Thanks again

Txwalt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oconnell.patrick