Stepping forward after you release style.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
There are many different pitching instructors around where I live and many different styles to go along with them. Almost every team now has a "pitching coach" which is generally a parent of a pitcher who wants to change all the pitchers to their kids style because they think that is the only proper way.

I just got an email this morning from one of my 10u parents, saying his kid wasn't "slamming the door" at her games this weekend, and her teams pitching coach said that was bad.

Well lately I've been noticing a few pitchers around taking a step or two after they release the ball. I assumed at first that this was just a mechanical problem they were having. Until another of my parents told me that his daughters team had a visiting pitching coach come by and he was supposed to be the coach from the Puerto Rico womens National team or something. So he told my pitcher and her dad that she needed to step forward at the release of the ball.

Fortunately for me her dad decided to check with me before beginning her to change her style.
I did some researching and found this;
Venezuela vs Puerto Rico - Mar 18 Sep - Fastpitch Venezuela - YouTube

This is what he's talking about.

I like to hear some discussions of this style and learn as much as I can since it looks like this will be one I'll be seeing around here since he is promoting it.

May 10, 2010
Every step taken after release is a step closer to a $300 bat. That pitcher looked about 10 ft closer after release. It would take some serious pitching ninja skill to defend themselves. Saw a pitcher this weekend catch a ball with the glove right in front of her face, any closer after release and ambulances would of been called.

Apr 13, 2013
Could be wrong, probably am, but the dirt he is pitching on seems different than what I am used to. He might be trying to get his forward foot out of the hole he is digging after blinding his 2nd basemen.

It does seem like an awkward position to put yourself in trying to make a play.

Oct 22, 2009
Apparently this is the style they throw, the PC the program brought in, teaches this and I've seen several girls around lately pitching this way.

They don't seem as fast as they should be to me.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I watched part of one of the college games yesterday and I saw one pitcher doing what I believe you are describing. It definitely stood out from the others. She seemed (as best as I could tell with my louysy vision) that she WAS pushing off from the rubber as a leap and drag pitcher would. However, her stride was not strong and aggressive as I would normally expect from a L and D pitcher.

Instead of being on a slight backwards lean at landing foot touchdown, she was landing standing very close to standing straight up. She had some noticeable forward momentum because of the push off, that I could see. However, because the stride foot was not out in front but basically straight under her, the momentum carried her forward of the stride foot and she had to take an extra 'Little' sdtep to stop herself. Every now and then she had to take two.

Thinking back now, I do not believe she threw any riseballs, but I might be mistaken on that.

Watching her brought back a lot of memories. I was referrede many students from other instructors with a simple request; "Please switch her from stepo style to l;eap and drag". This where I have seen it many times before, a student that was taught step style but because cof a faster and stronger forward momentum, her step style mechanics and especially her stride length would not contain her aggressiveness and speed any longer. They were stuck in what I have always called ''Pitching style Limbo". Kind of halfway between the two and that is a place that is EXTREMELY frustrating for a young pitcher.

They know thjat something they are doing in their mechanics is NOT letting them throw with the amount of speed they KNOW THEY CAN throw with,,,but they dont know why.

The coach you said recommended she take an axtra step, probably does NOT teach a riseball. You must have that resistance against the front leg for a good riseball.

If either coach says to 'slam the door' or take a styep forward after release, dont do either.

The one that says 'Slam the door', get a copy of the Steadman - Hawkins report and give it to the coach, then tell him NO.

Aug 4, 2011
Jojo,

What you describe is what brought me to this site in the first place. My DD's head coach wanted the girls to pitch in this exact way, followed with an "hello elbow". It wasn't so much a suggestion on how to pitch, but more that he was adamant that this was the way to pitch. To be fair though, I think he thought he had received sound advice. As it turned out, the pitching coach he recommended is where he got this style from. I took my DD to all of two practices to this PC. The PC and I mutually stopped, I think, since I questioned her mechanical instruction (cause it seemed fishy) and because I decided it was too much hassle to please a rec-league coach, over my DD's development. However, the pitcher in your video is no where near as blatant as what this PC taught.

Oct 22, 2009
Hal, I think this is how the teaching of it starts. I've seen these girls warm up and they stand sideways but with all the weight over the top of the front foot, in this position they warm up their releases, fastballs, change-ups, drops. Then they back up to a K position and do it again working on throwing the weight forward over the front leg.
By full pitch they are over their front foot and stepping forward. One of them is an ex-pitcher of mine, which is why I curiously watch her workout. I can hear her dad yell at her, "Drive your hip through!" She takes about 3 steps forward after pitching.
I spent so long getting that kid to stay back, and finally had her up to the upper 40's--12U.
Now she is a lot slower, probably mid 40's at 14u.

I can see where it may even "feel" faster to the pitcher and the catcher/batter, and that may be why they are doing it.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Figure it this way. I don't think anyone in the international community is all that concerned about Venezuela or Puerto Rico.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse