Leaping? Or replanting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Interesting, why would you think that? Jordy has pretty much had the same wind-up since she was 10u. What happened to her was a complete fluke and isolated incident. I don't think this is going to lead to an epidemic of ACL injuries, it certainly never happened in men's fastpitch. I don't know of anyone who hurt the ACL in a similar way to Jordy. In fact, Jordy's injury was to her left knee. So, for the moment, lets assume Jordy is a crow hopper (there's debate whether she does it or not but lets assume she does). Pitchers that crow hop land on the back foot and an argument could be made that it should be the back knee (right leg for a RHP) takes the brunt of the impact when jumping and that's the one that should be injured. So, doesn't it seem odd that it was the stride leg that was injured when that leg would have less impact then the landing leg?

(By the way, for anyone keeping track, it's my understanding that they did a bigger procedure on her than expected. Initially I think she was only going to get it scoped but they ended up doing a rebuild while they had her on the table.) Either way she was out for the year so they just decided to fix it.

I am not surprised that you didn’t see this injury in the men’s game because women are more prone to ligament injuries than men.

With regards to Jordy, if she’s pitched this way since 10U, then it is possible it’s a repetitive motion injury. She pitches which such explosiveness that I wouldn’t be surprised if the repetitive landing/resistance perhaps played a part. However, not knowing her sports background or if she played other sports (basketball is a big one) previously it could have been something else that was causing issues over time. It could also be that the squats with weights that I imagine she had to do could have contributed as well. Maybe it was what she did while hitting or base running.

All of this is obviously just speculation and only her health care provider might know for sure. RHP usually stiffen that left leg to create resistance. All of that energy being transferred is a lot of strain to on that knee. It could have been a faulty landing or even a slight twisting motion that caused it. Sometimes it’s just a freak thing.

All I know is I hope she makes a speedy recovery. I enjoyed watching her pitch and the energy she brought to the game. I wish her all the best.

Jul 14, 2008
This link is game footage of Hillhouse in 1993.
Opposing pitcher was the Zack man.
Hillhouse won the game.
Watch how he uses his pivot foot at landing.
Does his technique in this game match the new legal method for women?

Jan 22, 2011
Bill, here's an interesting article as to why you didn't see it in the men's fastpitch game, but why it might happen more frequently in the women's game.

I hope not, but this is probably why my gut is telling me Powerhouse Mechanics shouldn't be teaching what they are teaching.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
For all practical purposes it is the same I doubt it would be called illegal.
Putting aside the question of legal vs. illegal, if a pitcher who uses a conventional motion changes to align her motion to the outer edge of the new rule, does that likely elevate her from mediocre to average, average to good, good to great or great to immortal? And, if so, how? I get that the "leap" shortens the distance between release point and batter, but aren't there leakages in leverage and timing that would tend to reduce or negate that advantage?
This is the big question, does the interruption in the arm circle negate the advantage of the extra distance? Do you need a certain level of strength to make up for the arm circle change. And how much is the actual increase in distance? If you look, when the back foot touches down the front doesn't really move forward much at all, it more or less drops right down to the ground a split second later.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Interesting, why would you think that? Jordy has pretty much had the same wind-up since she was 10u. What happened to her was a complete fluke and isolated incident. I don't think this is going to lead to an epidemic of ACL injuries, it certainly never happened in men's fastpitch. I don't know of anyone who hurt the ACL in a similar way to Jordy. In fact, Jordy's injury was to her left knee. So, for the moment, lets assume Jordy is a crow hopper (there's debate whether she does it or not but lets assume she does). Pitchers that crow hop land on the back foot and an argument could be made that it should be the back knee (right leg for a RHP) takes the brunt of the impact when jumping and that's the one that should be injured. So, doesn't it seem odd that it was the stride leg that was injured when that leg would have less impact then the landing leg?

(By the way, for anyone keeping track, it's my understanding that they did a bigger procedure on her than expected. Initially I think she was only going to get it scoped but they ended up doing a rebuild while they had her on the table.) Either way she was out for the year so they just decided to fix it.
I hope you're right, to me the landing looks harsh when you consider it is happening over and over thousands of times. And with the potential for the joint to be jostled sideways especially landing on the side slope of a hole...yeesh!
I also get the willies watching video of people getting road rash, so it could just be me overreacting.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Baseball pitchers don't really have FSR, and their feet land pointing towards the target. I would think the angle of the knee on landing would make it harder on a softball pitcher, especially considering they don't have a true follow through.

It's just a guess, but I suspect PHM students will be the guinea pigs for bad knees.

Sep 13, 2021
Baseball pitchers don't really have FSR, and their feet land pointing towards the target. I would think the angle of the knee on landing would make it harder on a softball pitcher, especially considering they don't have a true follow through.

It's just a guess, but I suspect PHM students will be the guinea pigs for bad knees.
Powerhouse Mechanics is HQd in San Diego which is 1-2 hours south of where we are, but we see San Diego teams fairly frequently and, like I said, we've seen no girl up to this point that's leaping. This has been kind of surprising, as I was expecting a big wave of adoption.

May 29, 2015
People seem to be focusing on
hey you went in the air and landed in a different spot that's a replant.
NO that aint so
>>>it's just Landing in a spot!

The video is communicating that merely Landing and Pitching does not mean it is a replant.

What I noticed is through all these conversations no one can point out in that video that there is a second push that is generating any further forward progress.
* the pitch is thrown from where the spot the pitcher landed.

Other than the pitch finalizing itself
* the video shows that after landing there is no forward progress of the feet/legs.

If that is what they want, that is what they want. As I said, I disagree conceptually. The foot may or may not be actually pushing, but using it as a fulcrum to launch the body forward does impart more velocity to the pitcher's upper body. That is physics.

Whether she can transfer that into more velocity on the ball or not, I will profess to be ignorant. That may be more skill than physics.

May 29, 2015
That's right she's landing and finishing her pitch. ( the pitch she started when leaving the rubber)
That is her landing spot releasing the pitch.
* It is not renaming it.
* It is a way to describe the situation.

Because~
There is no forward progress beyond that.
(as to relocating)
That is the spot she is releasing the pitch from!

By rule, the pitch started whenever her hands separated, regardless of her feet or contact with anything.

Dumb, and I once again disagree, but that is the definition.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles