Split grip vs traditional

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
You first.

I supplied video of Cobb at swing launch.

24cv1xe.gif

As you can see, Cobb slid his hands together prior to swing launch. Those not paying attention seem to miss that.

You are the one claiming his use of a split grip. Let's see the video evidence supporting this claim.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I supplied video of Cobb at swing launch.

As you can see, Cobb slid his hands together prior to swing launch. Those not paying attention seem to miss that.

You are the one claiming his use of a split grip. Let's see the video evidence supporting this claim.

Can't do that from work, but I'll stipulate that the image I used makes it impossible to actually know what his grip was at swing launch. The split at the end of the swing seems to imply a split through the swing, but I can't prove that.

Of course, you only provided one clip of one swing of a man who played 24 years and had over 4k hits. Ted Williams talks about Cobb's split grip in "The Science of Hitting," so I'll take his word over your gif for now.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Can't do that from work, but I'll stipulate that the image I used makes it impossible to actually know what his grip was at swing launch. The split at the end of the swing seems to imply a split through the swing, but I can't prove that.

Of course, you only provided one clip of one swing of a man who played 24 years and had over 4k hits. Ted Williams talks about Cobb's split grip in "The Science of Hitting," so I'll take his word over your gif for now.

Bold above ... the image you used does not imply that a split grip was used at swing launch.

Many folks spoke of Cobb's split grip. They were incorrect.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Bold above ... In my opinion the image you used does not imply that a split grip was used at swing launch.

Many folks spoke of Cobb's split grip. They were incorrect.

Fixed it for you.

And while Ted isn't here to defend his claims, I'm still far more inclined to believe him than you. Or do you have more than a gif for evidence? I'm completely open minded about it, but it'll take more than a typical internet claim of "everyone else is wrong" and a single gif to convince me - not that you are under any obligation to convince me or anyone else.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Fixed it for you.

And while Ted isn't here to defend his claims, I'm still far more inclined to believe him than you. Or do you have more than a gif for evidence? I'm completely open minded about it, but it'll take more than a typical internet claim of "everyone else is wrong" and a single gif to convince me - not that you are under any obligation to convince me or anyone else.

I have more than one GIF.

You have zero GIFs to support your claim.

As for using hand positioning post extension ... ... ... using that logic you could claim that many MLB hitters don't even place their top-hand on the bat ... which isn't the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes