Split grip vs traditional

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the feedback. Was just curious. DD sent a one hopper to the fence and HC told her if she used a traditional grip it could have been a home run. Who knows if that's true.

DD switched to a split grip midway through last season and has really taken off with it. She doesn't get a ton of extra base hits but she gets on base more times than not (BA of 621)

Maybe her coach should go help the Ragin Cajuns learn how to hit :) The split grip doesn't seem to bother their stats.

1z4xxt3.jpg

May 12, 2014
It seems as though you can hit homeruns with it if you hit it right (same with every grip I guess). HC doesn't give her a hard time really. But, every blue moon he'll walk by and mention "still using that split grip huh? You can hit homeruns if you change." I thought to myself "She has fundamental flaws that she needs to fix before she worries about homeruns!"

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Louisiana Laf. also has a HUGE emphasis on understanding how to use leg and butt muscles to power through contact. The split grip is for control, and the "crackin of the nut" is for power.
As far as your dd goes....hitting a .600+ BA is reason enough to leave it alone.

Oct 10, 2011
She's at 13u, so when she gets older she'll see faster pitching. The speed of the pitch will help with distance if she can square them up.
That's one reason why you see older/college girls doing it frequently using split grip. Others do it it while choking up on the bat.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think you give up a little power for a little better control..
that may be somewhat true, but it's not necessarily a given. I used to believe that until I began seeing college girls going yard with the split grip. if the fence is 200 does it matter whether you hit it 220 or 250?

when I see players who have hitting potential struggling at the plate, I always have them try the split grip. some choose to change to it while others prefer their original grip. I let them make the choice for themselves but if they don't use it, save it in your toolbox for later. might help you out when in a slump or facing faster pitching than you're used to.

Your DD's coach-although he means well, is wrong. I see many coaches of limited knowledge who insist on teaching incorrect fundamentals because thats what they learned playing baseball growing up. another thing I'm seeing is a 150+ lb player can hit the ball well with different mechanics than the 110 lb girl. you have to find what works best for that 110 lb girl, you can't just tell her to do what works for the big kid.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
The reality in fastpitch is that many batters can be successful with less than perfect mechanics compared to baseball because of the large ball, hot composite bats, short fences, shrinking strike zone, and 60 foot base paths. If split grip gives the batter more bat control, I don't see a problem with it. And you need to remember, sometimes batters are successful in spite of their grip, not because of it. I'm sure Lauren Chamberlain and Alex Hugo would still put up big numbers whether or not they used a split grip or not.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
The reality in fastpitch is that many batters can be successful with less than perfect mechanics compared to baseball because of the large ball, hot composite bats, short fences, shrinking strike zone, and 60 foot base paths. If split grip gives the batter more bat control, I don't see a problem with it. And you need to remember, sometimes batters are successful in spite of their grip, not because of it. I'm sure Lauren Chamberlain and Alex Hugo would still put up big numbers whether or not they used a split grip or not.

I agree !!! A good case study is Kelly-Kretschman Read her resume.... She switched... & It was a done deal for DD. :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06