Sliding for beginners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 21, 2015
Yep, we use the bat with a couple adults holding it as an intermediate step as well.

What do you guys do when you have girls who are flat out afraid of sliding? I have a 10U girl who does everything perfect on a slip and slide but as soon as it comes to sliding on dirt (or even wet grass) she just can't get herself to commit. She had a coach tell her that if you don't slide right you can break an ankle and now she's terrified.

Jun 18, 2013
Agree. We have also used large cardboard boxes (think fridge, washer, dryer) if you can get your hands on them. Bring them into the outfield, cleats off, and run your drill. Something to consider when it is too cold for the water/slip and slide drills.

These are great, just make sure you have pulled ALL of the staples out of the boxes if you use appliance boxes. Those things are monsters.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Yep, we use the bat with a couple adults holding it as an intermediate step as well.

What do you guys do when you have girls who are flat out afraid of sliding? I have a 10U girl who does everything perfect on a slip and slide but as soon as it comes to sliding on dirt (or even wet grass) she just can't get herself to commit. She had a coach tell her that if you don't slide right you can break an ankle and now she's terrified.

Don't have a perfect solution but I've had a couple get in to situations (like stealing home) where I told them they absolutely had to slide. They just went for it that one time and the rest is history. Practicing at home plate where you can take that ankle concern out of play would probably help.

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field
I start by teaching them the figure-4 form (hands up!), while sitting in the grass to get them familiar with the position their body needs to be in during the slide. Step 2 is using a sliding pad or large cardboard sheet (I prefer using cardboard). Once they get the hang of the correct movement and how to control their body, we move to sliding into home plate for getting used to the feel of sliding in dirt. Last step is sliding into 2B and 3B...and plenty of practice.

THIS is what we did with our 10U's ^^^^^^

Nov 12, 2015
This is true. My daughter broke her ankle sliding. She did it fine until she got on dirt and for some reason she became scared. We greatly encouraged her to try and the 2nd slide she broke her ankle. I'm not sure how to get her over it, I guess it will just take time, but you can definitely break an ankle. Let me add, it was @ home plate.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
This is true. My daughter broke her ankle sliding. She did it fine until she got on dirt and for some reason she became scared. We greatly encouraged her to try and the 2nd slide she broke her ankle. I'm not sure how to get her over it, I guess it will just take time, but you can definitely break an ankle. Let me add, it was @ home plate.

I've seen it twice in 12-13 years. Both at home plate after the batters box has warn down and created a lip at home.

Jun 12, 2015
I was really nervous about sliding at our last tournament. The dirt was very eroded and the base was sticking up out of the ground a good couple of inches. I was afraid someone was going to break an ankle sliding into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi