Should Travel Ball even exist? Is it egalitarian?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
This is a weird idea.

My LL charges about $300 per season (reduced waivers for those who need it). We have practices and/or games 5 nights a week, with games on Saturdays. Our travel is within our District, which is at most about an hour's drive to games. In addition, it is required that you work concession duty, or pay more money, even as a team manager.

TB, by contrast, is 2-3 nights a week, with games about every other weekend. At younger ages, at least, travel is limited to about a 2 hour drives. TB is maybe $500 per season (again - younger ages).

So, given the above - which requires "100% commitment"? Pretty debatable as to which of the above is more onerous.

As for playing other sports (I presume the otehr part of the 100% commitment), that's pretty simple. If you want to be the best you can possibly be, you have to focus, regardless if that's math, basketball, or softball. At any sport, the game will pass you by if you don't work at it, because the other kids are working at it.

So, each athlete has to make her own decision as to when the effort required to stay competitive outweighs the satisfaction they get from it.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
But that is a perfectly valid response. I spend a lot of time and money on all of my kids activities (my 14 YO son plays the viola...you do not want to know how much a high quality viola costs). I don't do it because I think there will be some financial benefit in the end. If there is fine but it is about them pursuing something they enjoy to whatever level they want and taking me along for the ride.

I would agree with you if the question were spend the money to play the game or not play the game. But that isn't it. The question was spending an unnecessarily large amount of money chasing a carrot.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
This is a weird idea.

TB, by contrast, is 2-3 nights a week, with games about every other weekend. At younger ages, at least, travel is limited to about a 2 hour drives. TB is maybe $500 per season (again - younger ages).

Only every other weekend? We practice 2 nights a week, have league one night, and play every weekend for about 12-13 weeks.

Jul 9, 2010
Prior to HS, we play every other weekend from about Feb to Dec. When they get to HS, they do that from Jan to May, and play about every other weekend from May to Dec. There are exceptions - nationals and some national showcases last a week, and at times, we might play 3-4 weekends in a row. But, there are a million tourneys to choose from, and about 8 different sanctioning organizations active here in FL, so finding a tourney schedule to suit you isn't too much of a problem.

Feb 21, 2010
Lexington, KY
FPMark, This could be my DD as well. She loves softball and works hard at it(her decision, not mine). Her goal now is to play college ball. If that's what she wants, and is willing to put in the work to achieve it, more power to her. If she changes her mind, and chooses something else, that's ok too.

She's on a competitive team and gets pushed to be the best she can be. She's worked hard to develop the skills she has and could have stopped at any of the previous levels. I'm not a "crazy" parent pushing her to do this, it's her choice.

I'm glad TB exists and that she enjoys the challenge of it. I think it is teaching her how to work hard to achieve goals. Where will end? I have no idea, but as long as it's what she wants to do...we will do it.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Chasing the carrot... I have a fellow coach in our Org whose daughter did things the smart way. Played TB since 10U... just on B teams the cost wasn't bad at all. As a Junior tried out for a Gold Team and made it. Now the price tag went to about 7 grand. Did all the exposure tournaments, videos, ect (which were all covered in that price). Received a full-ride to a DII. Now as a Senior, she is just playing HS Ball not TB.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
rockerdad I think we are 2 of many, if not most, parents of TB players. If it were not for my DD's love for the game, I would save my money and let her play rec ball. As for the original question, Should TB exist?, there is no better way to reward hard work and dedicationn than to let them play at whatever level they are cappable of.

The second part of the question, Is it egalitarian, are you kidding me?(had to look that one up: The belief that everyone is equal). If all players were equal, there would be no travel ball. I'll assume it means equal opportunity. I believe it is, to a certain extent. If I payed a TB team $20000 to garauntee my daughter a starting position on their team, would you let your DD play on her team? I sure wouldn't. That team would be destined for ruin. A sub par player undeserving a starting position but with lots of money would not make for a very successful team. Worse than any daddy ball.

But what about a girl with huge tallent but whose parrents can't afford to let her play? I have had this happen before. We came up with ways to make it happen through fund raising, sponsorship, and even donations. If the girl deserves to play, there is always a way to make it happen without causing any problems on the team.

Nov 8, 2010
I've actually heard quite a few stories similar to CoachKevin's. Players that have success at the HS and College level don't necessarily play A level travel ball year around from the moment they are old enough to hold a bat. Some are actually 2 and 3 sport athletes. Others play on B level teams due to the reduced costs and limited travel schedule.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207