Screwball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2012
A, A
We have had pc's teaching my daughter to step a foot or so to the left of the power line when throwing the screwball and we now have one that doesn't teach that. Personally I thought she had better movement on the pitch when she stepped to the left of the power line. I think it helped take some velocity off and helped the pitch move! Now throwing it and staying on the power line it comes in harder, I can see the good rotation...but not impressed with the movement. The new instructor claimed opening up was "old school" and the modern softball pitcher doesn't step off the power line for the screwball. She also claimed stepping to the left of the power line tipped the hitter of a incoming screwball.....your guys thoughts?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Whether or not a pitcher can achieve real SB spin, I think the step to the left adds to the SB perception, or illusion.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Wouldn't the steping/leaping a foot to the left be a huge signal to the batter that "I'm pitching a screwball."? It's been my understanding that you want to look pretty much the same (from the batter's perspective) on all your pitches.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The step to the left is a very good starting point, for a girl that is just learning. In rec league and 12U travel most batters can't hit it, even if you were to yell out that it is coming.

See pic below of Adam Folkard.....maybe the best in the men's game now. It sure looks like he is stepping (leaping) out to what we call a screwball landing in the women's game. Now at 85+ mph there may not be a lot of time to process where he is landing and where the ball is going. I have never seen him pitch live...maybe Bill Hillhouse could comment on this. I am guessing he throws a lot of rise spin from this position.
Adam Folkard Screwball type stride landing.jpg

Wouldn't the steping/leaping a foot to the left be a huge signal to the batter that "I'm pitching a screwball."? It's been my understanding that you want to look pretty much the same (from the batter's perspective) on all your pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG