scorebook question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Some of these "grey areas" of scoring are why coaches always take batting averages with a grain of salt....a little "home cooking" in the score book can raise a players batting average .100 or more!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What about a suicide squeeze where run scores and batter is safe at 1st? Just a sac bunt w/ an RBI?

Scorekeeper may make a judgment about whether batter would have beaten out an immediate throw to first. So it could be hit or a sac.

Or it could even be an error with no sac if scorekeeper believes an out would have been made at home with ordinary effort.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Scorekeeper may make a judgment about whether batter would have beaten out an immediate throw to first. So it could be hit or a sac.

Or it could even be an error with no sac if scorekeeper believes an out would have been made at home with ordinary effort.

"Ordinary effort" is the key phrase, and that's where the subjectivity of errors vs base hits comes into play, often to the hitter's detriment.

Too often, I see parents, and even coaches, confuse what their kid MIGHT be able to do defensively on a perfect day with what a player should be able to do most every time with "ordinary effort". If the bunt is executed with the corners back, it shouldn't be judged against what might have happened had the defense been playing up. A hard hit grounder into the 5.5 hole isn't an error if the SS doesn't convert it to an out; she did a great job just keeping in the infield. A ball that tips off an OF's outstretched glove while running towards the fence also isn't an error; it's a double, at least. I've recently had to explain all these situations to parents and scorekeepers. People sometimes get way too wound up over what's an error without giving credit to the hitter for getting the ball into play, and just how difficult some defensive plays can be. Often, it's the ones who haven't played very much themselves.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Next question is same slapper drops a soft slap in 5/6 hole and legs it out, SS throws ball any way(batter would have beat a perfect throw) and throws it away, batter then advances one or two bases. It should be scored a single and a one or two base error on throw right. Not a reached base on error.

Depends, score keepers judgment, if the batter was going to beat out the hit into the hole regardless of the throw it is a hit and extra bases would be on the error. If they would have got her with a good throw it is an error no hit.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
"Ordinary effort" is the key phrase, and that's where the subjectivity of errors vs base hits comes into play, often to the hitter's detriment.

Too often, I see parents, and even coaches, confuse what their kid MIGHT be able to do defensively on a perfect day with what a player should be able to do most every time with "ordinary effort". If the bunt is executed with the corners back, it shouldn't be judged against what might have happened had the defense been playing up. A hard hit grounder into the 5.5 hole isn't an error if the SS doesn't convert it to an out; she did a great job just keeping in the infield. A ball that tips off an OF's outstretched glove while running towards the fence also isn't an error; it's a double, at least. I've recently had to explain all these situations to parents and scorekeepers. People sometimes get way too wound up over what's an error without giving credit to the hitter for getting the ball into play, and just how difficult some defensive plays can be. Often, it's the ones who haven't played very much themselves.

When in doubt, give credit to the batter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00