Scholarship offer to HS Freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, when a parent is out bragging about the kid getting the, "full ride," their intent is to suggest it is athletic scholarship money. I think we all know that a large percentage of that time, not only is that not true, that player is getting a partial athletically and no academic. In my experience, I've seen players lose academic scholarship monies as fast as they have lost athletic monies.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Uh, yes you do have to be exceptional to get a full athletic full ride to a P5 school. Like another poster said, many are on a "full ride" when you combine athletic and academic money but is very rare for a student athlete to receive a 100% athletic scholarship.

Interesting. I would not call my DD exceptional. Granted, she is pretty good, but would not use the word exceptional. And I know some others that are on full athletic who are struggling, including one that does not hit her weight. But I never claimed that I Know It All.

Mar 26, 2013
Uh, yes you do have to be exceptional to get a full athletic full ride to a P5 school.
Interesting. I would not call my DD exceptional. Granted, she is pretty good, but would not use the word exceptional. And I know some others that are on full athletic who are struggling, including one that does not hit her weight. But I never claimed that I Know It All.
Successful players at the P5 level are exceptional, regardless of whether they have a full ride or not. Underperforming athletes with a rare full ride are evidence life isn't fair nor perfect, similar to overpaid employees.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Uh, yes you do have to be exceptional to get a full athletic full ride to a P5 school. Like another poster said, many are on a "full ride" when you combine athletic and academic money but is very rare for a student athlete to receive a 100% athletic scholarship.

I guess it all depends on how you define "exceptional"...in my opinion, an exceptional player is one who starts at a Top-25 program as a freshman - Kelly Barnhill and Matty Moss are two examples. There are a lot of players I consider "very good" who have full rides as well.

Jun 2, 2015

I stand by my previous post that full athletic rides are very rare and more of an exception. From your smug response, I guess that you are implying that your daughter is on a full athletic scholarship. If she is, she is either a pitcher or a top level catcher who hits for power. Good pitching is very scarce these days. A pitcher who displays an above average amount of talent can probably command a full athletic ride. As for catchers, there are plenty of talented catchers out there. Most of them play their position well but are very inconsistent with their bats. A catcher that can play her position well and who has some consistent pop in her bat is more times than not getting a full athletic ride.

In regards to position players, there are very few that are on full rides. Of course, there are exceptions (i.e. Sierra Romero). There are also players whose on-field performance subsequently earns them a full ride (i.e. Lexi Elkins). If you are a talented position player with a very decent stick, the odds are that a mid-major would be more willing to offer you a full ride as an inducement to get you to play there than would a top 20 program. In regards to your comment about girls you know that are on full rides but who are struggling, especially the girl who is not hitting her weight, I can guarantee that they will not be on full rides for long. The exception to this is if they signed a 4 year scholarship.

Sep 29, 2014
I stand by my previous post that full athletic rides are very rare and more of an exception. From your smug response, I guess that you are implying that your daughter is on a full athletic scholarship. If she is, she is either a pitcher or a top level catcher who hits for power. Good pitching is very scarce these days. A pitcher who displays an above average amount of talent can probably command a full athletic ride. As for catchers, there are plenty of talented catchers out there. Most of them play their position well but are very inconsistent with their bats. A catcher that can play her position well and who has some consistent pop in her bat is more times than not getting a full athletic ride.

In regards to position players, there are very few that are on full rides. Of course, there are exceptions (i.e. Sierra Romero). There are also players whose on-field performance subsequently earns them a full ride (i.e. Lexi Elkins). If you are a talented position player with a very decent stick, the odds are that a mid-major would be more willing to offer you a full ride as an inducement to get you to play there than would a top 20 program. In regards to your comment about girls you know that are on full rides but who are struggling, especially the girl who is not hitting her weight, I can guarantee that they will not be on full rides for long. The exception to this is if they signed a 4 year scholarship.

....you found riseball out his DD is a pitcher for a P5 conference

Scholarships renew year to year even boys football where full ride scholarships, that get extended for four years are the most common, I've never heard of a four year athletic scholarships, even when school keep players on scholarship after injuries it is a kind gesture not an NCAA mandate as far as I know but I don't know it all either.

Ideally you can get a mixture of academic and athletic scholarship that comes close to covering everything, the very least you should be able to do is get a quality out of state school at a in state price with scholarships

Mar 26, 2013
Scholarships renew year to year even boys football where full ride scholarships, that get extended for four years are the most common, I've never heard of a four year athletic scholarships, even when school keep players on scholarship after injuries it is a kind gesture not an NCAA mandate as far as I know but I don't know it all either.
Multi-year awards have been allowed in D-I since 8/1/2012. Some members of the 2013 HS class were the first to sign one with their NLI.

15.3.3.1 Period of Award. [A] If a student’s athletics ability is considered in any degree in awarding financial aid, such aid shall neither be awarded for a period less than one academic year nor for a period that would exceed the student’s five-year period of eligibility (see Bylaws 12.8 and 15.01.5). One-year grants-in-aid shall be awarded (as set forth in the written statement per Bylaw 15.3.2.2) in equal amounts for each term of the academic year. (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 10/27/11 effective 8/1/12; awards may be executed before 8/1/12, 8/7/14)

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks learn something new every day; but a little reading up on it makes it seem like just the power 5 are actually doing it and only in certain sports (can you say football)

Oct 10, 2011
Multi-year awards have been allowed in D-I since 8/1/2012. Some members of the 2013 HS class were the first to sign one with their NLI.

15.3.3.1 Period of Award. [A] If a student’s athletics ability is considered in any degree in awarding financial aid, such aid shall neither be awarded for a period less than one academic year nor for a period that would exceed the student’s five-year period of eligibility (see Bylaws 12.8 and 15.01.5). One-year grants-in-aid shall be awarded (as set forth in the written statement per Bylaw 15.3.2.2) in equal amounts for each term of the academic year. (Revised: 4/27/06 effective 8/1/06, 10/27/11 effective 8/1/12; awards may be executed before 8/1/12, 8/7/14)

So if an athlete performs well, can they and when would they say, I could use more money coach?

Mar 26, 2013
Thanks learn something new every day; but a little reading up on it makes it seem like just the power 5 are actually doing it and only in certain sports (can you say football)
The P5's recent move towards 4-yr schollies across the board is a separate thing and some have only instituted for certain sports. I know softball players have been getting multiyear deals since the 2013 class and JAD has talked about how many are structured.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06