Scholarship offer to HS Freshman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Ugh. That UVA program is a mess. I am not sure their coach is going to make it past this season.

- The pitchers he had last year transferred and dropped their ERA's by 3.5+ each on their new teams (Andie Formby - ERA UVA: 5.56 ERA Kansas: 1.91, Alex Formby - ERA UVA: 7.30, ERA SD State: 3.98)
- His best pitcher from last year (Chapdelaine) had a better ERA than 3 of the 4 pitchers used this year and is line with the #1 but she hasn't pitched an inning this year despite being healthy (and she BATS - which is a big shock to those who saw her play previously because she wasn't really in her HS lineup).
- At least one of the Freshman this year was supposed to be red-shirted and didn't. Maybe more - but he needed to get some results with 'his' recruits to show progress however...
- They MAY beat last seasons awful record (16-40), but it isn't going to be by much (13-27 currently with some tough ACC games left)
- and they are being outscored by about 2 runs per game...

UVA was one of the first schools to recruit my DD, and it was flattering to have a school from a Power-5 conference recruiting her as a 9th grader. We went to one of their camps and enjoyed the campus tour, but for whatever reason they decided to go a different direction. Great academic school, but their softball program is struggling and I am not sure it is going to get better anytime soon. Coach Heidi is the one who recommended my DD get involved with OnDeck and called Derek Allister on her behalf, and I will be forever grateful to her for that!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
At least one of the Freshman this year was supposed to be red-shirted and didn't. Maybe more - but he needed to get some results with 'his' recruits to show progress however...They MAY beat last seasons awful record (16-40), but it isn't going to be by much (13-27 currently with some tough ACC games left)

Maybe it is just me, but if my team went 16-40 last season, I would NOT be recruiting players to redshirt - they need help RIGHT NOW!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The pitchers he had last year transferred and dropped their ERA's by 3.5+ each on their new teams (Andie Formby - ERA UVA: 5.56 ERA Kansas: 1.91, Alex Formby - ERA UVA: 7.30, ERA SD State: 3.98)

I would love to see a statistical analysis of how pitchers ERAs improve from their freshman to sophomore seasons. I also imagine the Formby sisters are benefiting from improved defensive play behind them.

Jun 2, 2015
Same old story that has been repeated a gazillion times over. A girl who has some success at an early age but becomes average by their senior year. I am always leery of the stories about a prospective student athlete (PSA) being offered a full ride at a D-1 school and take these boasts with a grain of salt. With only 12 being available each year (talking D-1), these are such a valuable thing. Schools are not giving anybody a full ride unless you are the next Kelani Ricketts.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
When you combine athletic and academic money more players get a full ride than you may expect.

True. But I think this was in the context of an athletic scholarship. If you combine athletic, academic, loans, and mom & dad funding most if not all are on full scholarships.:)

Jun 2, 2015
This is a bit of an overstatement. You have to be pretty good, but not necessarily exceptional.

Uh, yes you do have to be exceptional to get a full athletic full ride to a P5 school. Like another poster said, many are on a "full ride" when you combine athletic and academic money but is very rare for a student athlete to receive a 100% athletic scholarship.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06