Safety Correctness Gone Too Far

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2011
There is a heart guard that is actually worth considering, but I don't know the name of it. It is in a shirt and is formed to your body.

Are you thinking Evo Shield? I think that stuff is sooo cool.

If anyone was watching the California-Kentucky game on ESPN, the announcer (speaking about the Baylor catcher) said it was a horrible accident but that college shouldn't require face guards on helmet. Yes, I'd agree with that, but if I did play college, I'd use a face guard on my helmet. I think in the 8 years I've played softball, I've only been hit twice in the face guard, and that was because of poor bunts. Masks and protection should be up to the player, parents, and coaches, not up to the organization.

Oct 25, 2009
Are you thinking Evo Shield? I think that stuff is sooo cool.

If anyone was watching the California-Kentucky game on ESPN, the announcer (speaking about the Baylor catcher) said it was a horrible accident but that college shouldn't require face guards on helmet. Yes, I'd agree with that, but if I did play college, I'd use a face guard on my helmet. I think in the 8 years I've played softball, I've only been hit twice in the face guard, and that was because of poor bunts. Masks and protection should be up to the player, parents, and coaches, not up to the organization.

The helmet cage doesn't interfere at all with hitting. It should be mandatory. How many examples does it take of someone getting hurt for someone to implement such an easy fix as a cage?

Oct 25, 2009
All of this could be avoided by developing a ball that won't kill someone. Surely, that is possible. I have never heard of anyone being seriously injured by a tennis ball and it travels a lot faster than a softball.

One of the hardest hit balls I had ever seen was one that I caught at first base 3 years ago. There was a runner on and she actually hid behind me, I heard my teammates gasp, as it went into my glove. I wear a mask, but that thing was a missile.

There is a heart guard that is actually worth considering, but I don't know the name of it. It is in a shirt and is formed to your body.

About 4 years ago while using a tennis ball for front toss I was hit in the eye, resulting in a broken nose, blood inside the eye, a $7,000 medical bill (CAT scan), and off-and-on issues with that eye since.

I was told by my optometrist that he knew a tennis player who lost an eye while charging the net on a return.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'd say what I really think, but it will get deleted regardless. This isn't a political board.

I understand which is why I noted the rant. People don't have to read it if they choose not to.

In regards to the ignorance part, we don't have the injury rates here. I've seen numerous girls stop balls to the face. It's incredibly rare to see it missed. The three I've seen were from errors from the player injured. Two of them were in the past year. I've said it before I wouldn't object to a girl wearing it but I'd question the need.

It wasn't the mask to which I was referring. It was to your suggested reaction to someone who may choose to do something different.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
You know, I want the girls in my family to wear a mask, but I wouldn't make the boys. I don't even understand what my thinking is.

LL still isn't requiring facemasks on the softball batting helmets. Perhaps, because they would have to require it in baseball, too? No, that doesn't make any sense, because they banned composite baseball bats, but not composite softball bats. I am confused.

Mar 15, 2010
LL still isn't requiring facemasks on the softball batting helmets. Perhaps, because they would have to require it in baseball, too? No, that doesn't make any sense, because they banned composite baseball bats, but not composite softball bats. I am confused.

My train of thought is Little League is following in stride with the NFHS composite bat ban. If you look at the LL approved/unapproved composite bat lists you will see it is virtually identical to the NFHS lists. I can understand the thinking of LL. Since they can't play with certain bats in HS just ban them now. Make them switch to BBCOR if they don't want wood or metal.

I am convinced that if/once NFHS implements a similar ban for Softball, ASA and the other governing bodies will implement very similar bans. Until that time you will have this dichotomy where a bat can be used for girls but the same or similar boys model cannot be used in certain leagues.

May 10, 2010
Thats all thats needed, a nanny league. Where kids learn to play not to get hurt or the parents will sue. Its amazing that we have high school or college players today. Most had to field line drives without a mask hit from composite bats. Every sport has risk no one is forcing anyone to play. Most parents I have been around think their dd are better than they are and play them up in higher levels, then blame equipment failure or lack of when they get hurt. Also I have seen fielders masks give a mediocore player a false sense of security. Look at the science in football helments and still there are many head injuries. Mainly because of a false sense of security.

May 17, 2011
Yes it does. Are you kidding? Have you hit with and without one? Some don't fit well for players of certain sizes), some block view of certain pitches.

I would wear a helmet but would not wear a cage over my face even after seeing the Baylor incident. Only when boys wear them will I change my mind. It was just stitches. If that was a baseball, her eye would have been damaged, yet no one tells the college boys to wear one.

I agree with this, even the high visibility cages still interfere with sight. I personally have a hard time seeing inside pitches with a cage. As an athlete, I go out on that field risking my safety and health and am willing to accept any harm that comes to myself.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
The Baylor catcher while batting this weekend fouled a ball into her right eye. No batting helmet cage. Multiple fractures, multiple stitches. Out for the tournament. Didn't lose her eyesight, though; but it will probably affect her eyesight for years.

I recall the uproar when HS made the helmet cage mandatory. I smile every time I see a ball hit a cage!

Many people still remember when baseball players didn't wear helmets. And football players didn't wear masks.

My DD went in high and tight this weekend with a pretty zippy fastball. The hitter fouled it off directly into her facemask, popped the chin strap right off one side. Pretty sure she (and her parents and team mates) were darn happy she was wearing one!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00