Safety Correctness Gone Too Far

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Today my local rec league voted to ban all composite bats starting with fall ball. Not just the bats on the ASA ban list, all composite bats. Even though DD has aged out I am still an active member of the league and chair the rules committee. There is a small but extremely vocal group on the board that has taken safety precautions to the extreme. Starting this past spring all infielders are required to wear face masks and that will be extended to outfielders starting this fall. In addition, starting this past spring all pitchers had to wear heart guards and the league will be requiring all players to wear them starting next spring.

This is in addition to the rules that require all players from 8U up to wear long sleeve under armor, batting gloves, sliding shorts and sliders even when the players wear pants with the built in sliding protection.

I made a joke that we should start requiring catchers to wear cups and one of the parents replied straight faced, "I have pelvic protectors on the agenda for Spring rule review".

If this league goes any further I think we will field teams that require all players to wear catchers gear in the field.

Jun 22, 2008
Rocketechs are one of the hottest bats on the market and arent composite. With all these rules, why dont they just vote to use the foam T balls to insure no one can be hurt by the ball?

Nov 29, 2009
This is in addition to the rules that require all players from 8U up to wear long sleeve under armor, batting gloves, sliding shorts and sliders even when the players wear pants with the built in sliding protection.

I'm taking a shot here. One of the small vocal group is an attorney? It sounds like paranoia has beset the league board.

It's too bad for the kids. What they need to do is make the equipment optional or suggested. Making it mandatory is asinine.

Mar 15, 2010
...foam T balls to insure no one can be hurt by the ball?

Don't even go there. There was a proposal to use RIFs in 14U (12U and below use RIF) until I explained how it would hurt their precious DD as HS does not use RIF. Even still there were a handful of votes for 14U RIF. But I do like your idea. In the spring rule review I will recommend wiffle balls and bats as that would be the ultimate in safety precautions.

Mar 15, 2010
I'm taking a shot here. One of the small vocal group is an attorney?

No, the leader of the group is a physicians assistant and "If you see what I see every day these rules make sense". Apparently her office is inundated with severe trauma injuries from softball and baseball everyday. The irony is her husband speeds around town on his Harley wearing the half helmet.

For the record, my DD has been in urgent care 5 times with sports related injuries:

1. Broken foot = Basketball
2. Suspected Broken Finger = Basketball (bad bruise)
3. Suspected broken wrist = Basketball (sprain)
4. Shoulder Injury = Softball (over pitching, rest took care of the problem)
5. Suspected Leg Injury = Softball (hit by pitch, rest took care of the problem)

Based upon my own personal statistics Basketball is a very dangerous sport. I should start having DD wear steel toed basketball shoes, skateboarding wrist protectors and some type of finger protector.

Mar 15, 2010
can we say bubblewrap??

Excellent suggestion. I never thought of bubblewrap. Are you thinking the kind with the small individual bubbles or the larger ones that are like rectangles? I will bring this idea to the spring rule session. With catchers gear and then bubble wrap over any remaining exposed areas there is no way a girl can get hurt.

Jun 22, 2008
Wait a minute, not to fast on that bubble wrap. Havent you read the warnings that it poses a suffocation hazard?

Oct 25, 2009
Are these rules the same for baseball? If not, you may want to bring that to their attention. It may be a tougher sale with baseball parents and you can object to the discrimination.

Nov 1, 2008
this should work, they'll be completely protected!
48__gadimg.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad