Riseball spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
I think you have been drinking Hal's kool aid when he swears that he has seen some "special" pitches where the ball actually stops in mid-flight for several seconds and changes direction.:)

Yikes - my first Hal label,...... Actually I am surprised it took this long :)

I will stand by and take any label I need to until somebody can counter my claim on Reynolds effects. (I could be wrong with claiming what I see as the results of Reynolds flow - but - I need to hear somebody truly educated in the field to tell me)

I have caught for allot of pitchers - given same speed I can literally fall asleep catching some pitchers assortments of expected path pitches while some I have to have a double-esspresso to ensure my safety with others. That's REAL.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Given all Rick has done for me and my pitchers, he's due some rear kissing.

In fact, if I were a rich man...Ya ha deedle deedle, bubba bubba deedle deedle dum. I would send Rick Pauly on a cruise, if I were a wealthy man.

I'm glad you took this in jest, and I am not above puckering up for him JS, BM or BH. They help take our DDs from Sunrise to Sunset of their careers. see what I did there with the FOTR thing? Don't keep it going though, I only know the two songs, I am Jewish but not observant so we only have to know two of the songs to remain Kosher.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Yikes - my first Hal label,...... Actually I am surprised it took this long :)

I will stand by and take any label I need to until somebody can counter my claim on Reynolds effects. (I could be wrong with claiming what I see as the results of Reynolds flow - but - I need to hear somebody truly educated in the field to tell me)

I have caught for allot of pitchers - given same speed I can literally fall asleep catching some pitchers assortments of expected path pitches while some I have to have a double-esspresso to ensure my safety with others. That's REAL.

Don't hold your breath! If physics professors who specifically research BB/SB don't fit that bill...

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Well, looks like we finally have true pitching experts here in Rick Pauly AND Javasource, not to take away from the expertise of some of you others. Let's sit back and be edified. I'm sure I'll have to change my thinking somewhat after they provide THEIR insight. I'll grab some popcorn and a drink and sit back and enjoy. Better yet.....Maybe I'll go work out (laugh), smart phone in hand, of course.

rear-kissing squared.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
That is the 'riseball' pitch Daniel used in winning the WCWS. It is the 'riseball' pitch Escobedo used in winning the WCWS.

I'm not saying this is the 'best' way to throw a 'riseball' .... but I am saying that I see it frequently .... and that it does result in the pitch profile that folks expect from a riseball.

Welcome data to the contrary.

I watched the games too. They can call it what they want to, but it doesn't make it so. I won't argue the effectiveness of the pitches thrown by these two because it worked well, but high fastballs aren't riseballs. However, they could still be strike out pitches.

That isn't any different than the 10U pitcher who shows up at tryouts with Dad bragging about her 8 pitches. Once you see her pitch you realize there is a nomenclature problem. FB low = drop ball, FB high = riseball, FB inside = screwball, FB outside = curve ball....etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207