Rec Program - Comparisons

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2010
Central California
Hi everyone! I thought I would start a thread about comparisons from one rec program to the next and maybe add some comments about what you like and don't like about your particular program. I'm looking for a variety of information so that I maybe can pick up a few new ideas offer them to the rec program my DD's are involved in.

Our softball program is run through the local PAL (Police Activities League) program. There is no elected board, but a steering committee(who help run the softball program) is appointed each year by a local resource police officer who is the executive director of the softball program.

Pretty much all volunteer, except for umpires which they strongly encourage our local high school students to do. They are paid anywhere from $10 to $20 per game based upon experience.

We usually have a 10-12 game season. Cost is $30.00; Last registration date usually goes up by $5.00. Any games cancelled due to rain are usually not made up. We have playoff games for our 9-10, 11-12 and 13-16 age groups finishing up with a championship game. We stopped having All Stars Selection and games due to parents apparently upset that their DD's were not selected, because of this we no longer participate in the state PAL tourney. (I'm not even sure if they still have this) After the season, some girls will go on and play some "B" level travel ball.
We do require background checks for all coaches, dugout moms and volunteers.

We must at all times have a background checked female in each respective team's dugout or the girls don't play. This applies to all games and practices.(There has been a lot of times I have been unable to hold practice because of this rule).

Teams are selected via a "Blind Draw". Pitchers are set aside to ensure all teams have experienced pitchers.

All players must slide when it is a close play, if not your out. It's for the player's safety (I hate this rule)

The program is not too bad. Great people running it. Good Coaches and Parents. I only have two gripes; first are the umpires, I know there just kids, but if your going to pay them they should at least know the proper rules and mechanics. They hold 1 90 minute "clinic" and hold a series of practice games for them to be taught the "proper mechanics" (not all attend) etc..... The UIC is a Baseball Coach, bless his heart, but when your telling the umpires in training that "the hands are part of the bat" and "if there is a tie, the tie goes to the runner" and mix up the interpretations of obstruction and interference and totally not understand the Look Back Rule, well you get the picture.....

One thing I do miss is having All Star selection and games within our respective age divisions, the players and parents want it, but the executive director got rid of it because he didn't want to deal with it. I can understand how he feels. What is the best way to pick All Star Teams?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Cost for DD is @$300 and I can only comment on your dislikes of your league.

1 of our major costs is umpires. They are all ASA certified and do a good job. They know they are not umping a HS championship game and make adjustments based on the level of play and coaches.

All Star Teams are more a hassle and hard feeling then they are worth. IMHO.

All players must slide when it is a close play, if not your out. It's for the player's safety (I hate this rule)

We have an end of the year tourney, DD ran to home fully stopped, and stepped around the C with no contact, and stepped on home. C caught the ball, then tagged DD and she was called out. HC went to discuss it with the umpire and DD was called out for not sliding even though she came to a complete stop and went out of her way to avoid contact before she stepped on home plate.

I agree with you and hate that rule but can live with it, I really hate that rules are introduced at the yearend tourney.

Edit: I was almost tossed from a game because I was arguing the must slide rule Walked away protesting the game.

Last edited:
Our league is growing and we seem to be getting a really god reputation in the area.

Dues are $98 plus either sell candy two boxes or pay the opt out fee $60. Girls still pay for pants, socks, batting cages, opening tourney entry fee and other misc. stuff. We do fundraisers and run a concession stand, we also have weekly group pitching lessons with former college player turned instructor, biggest costs are umpires, uniforms, we get a good deal on fields from city but pay for the lights.

We have a board that is softball only even though we are with PONY and we share park and concession stands with the boys (big falling out years ago and honestly it works very well). We even had them send almost every tee ball baseball girl to our tee ball program. We play ourselves and a few other local PONY teams to get a 12 games schedule in, we basically practice the month of March and play games in April and May. All Stars in June and July, so for the good players a 5 month season. While not official girls that want to usually get together a fall ball team for Sept and Oct down with the city.

We play PONY rules which are basically ASA, we do have a 5 run rule but that is about the only big difference I see.

While we take the program seriously and there is recognition for the winner of the league in the end if you are a serious player it is all about All Stars at the end of the year. All Stars is a completely different animal school is out and sectionals is usually 3 or 4 weeks out, practice is 2 hours a day 5 times a week, we also usually enter at least one TB tournament the expectation is always regionals 2 or 3 weeks after that, then nationals a few weeks after that (people are already scouting hotels). All Star selections can be contentious but the coaches just get together and work it out top 10 are never the problem always those last few picks that are hard last for 12U we took 16 way too many and we still left some talent home.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I've coached everything from t-ball through HS varsity and most of my time is spent with my 14u Travel team... so when I coach my 8yr olds rec team, its not hard for us to completely dominate the other teams regardless of age. My 10u team last year had mostly 8-9 yr olds with two at 7 and one at 6, but with proper instruction of key fundamentals we still made it to the championship game. We lost 5-6, but it was against a team of 10-11 yr olds. So yes, in the rec leagues there is a huge gap in experience of coaches, its mostly dads and grandpas doing their best but honestly don't know much about fastpitch.

Jun 26, 2012
We play Little League in my area and have teams up to senior league which is up to 16 I think but not many girls. Umpires are asa certified and get paid per game. Amount varies per age or level. 150.00 to play. They get a real jersey, socks and a visor. 18 games, plus a few scrimmages, then allstars. So March to July if you can play. My town isnt that big (5,000 residents) and we have about 120 girls from ages 6-12. So i think that is a pretty good turnout. Board is made up President and VP for each level, BB and SB.

Game rules are a little limited till age 10. 5 runs per innings, no lead till ball reaches the plate. From age 11 up, its full SB. There's a mix of TB girls and just rec girls that play on the various teams. Most of the rec girls have been playing since tee-ball so they can hang in there. Every team we face in 12u has at least one girl throwing 50 mph +/-. Games are good, with sharp plays and even a DP here and there. Throw downs and pick off attempts so we see the full gammet.

With all the TB teams around us, our goal as a program is to give the girls something where they are challeged and make sure they are improving. Hence, the 18 games, 2 or 3 scrimmages. With allstars, you could 25-30 games a season. We practice 3-4 days a week prior to start of the season. Once the season starts we play 2-3 games a week and practice once a week. I think that has been successful for us because alot of the girls want to play and play good but dont want to spend their entire weekend at a ball field 100 miles away.

We also do a fal ball season. We practice for about 2 weeks then play 12 games. Girls are usually playing up in the division they will play in the spring.

Finally, we have winter workouts from January to February. 8 weeks, 1 1/2 hours once a week indoors. Pitching, hitting, fielding, throwing. We run multiple stations. So girls are getting 100 hacks, fielding 50 balls and 100 throws.

Not bad for a rec program

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
I've seen that crazy sliding rule in other parks in our area but we've never adopted it because we think that ASA covers those situations appropriately and it just adds confusion.

I think the money that we spend on umpires is well worth it for adult, ASA certified umps for 8U and up. As a rec league in a metro area we are competing for players with other leagues and other sports. The quality of the play that you offer is a big part of the product. Fields and facilities, competition, instruction and umpiring are all part of that equation.

I also think that the All Star program is essential. We do the "All Star Game" which is mostly a silly exhibition. But the All-Star/Select program provides competitive playing opportunities for your better players. If you can offer those experiences for the better players who for whatever reason don't want to play travel or maybe aren't quite good enough it raises the level of play by deepening the talent pool and challenging other players to try and catch up.

Our fees are more in the $250 range but we receive no financial support from local government besides providing fields (not even field maintenance).

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What is the best way to pick All Star Teams?

I don't know the best method, bu the usual approach is to find the biggest jackass wannabe coach the league and have him/her pick the kids.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Our small town P&R is just that... they refuse to align with any leagues (Pony, Little League, ect). The umpires are HS kids paid minimal and really no training. Not sure what the price is to play. Never any coaches clinics, player clinics, nothing. The local TB Organization has tried several times to get things going with the P&R department but has been told NO every time. In fact I was HC of a 10U TB team (at the time) and we were looking for a field to use for practice. We had found a field at a park that was in terrible shape, and not really used. I approached the Director and said that we could get the field in playable condition with our own $ and work if we could use it 3 times a week. I was told No, not going to happen, you can get the field in playable condition but no way can we secure it for your use.

Jun 26, 2012
Field usage is becoming a real big problem in my area. LL fills up our fields every week night and saturdays till 3pm. We as LL maintain the fields and structures on it. Town collects trash and mows the grass, that's it. We constantly have Travel programs coming to us wanting to use the fields but the deal is they donate to LL like 500 bucks, pay 10.00 per game or practice session for wear and tear. And thats for like 2 slots on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning. No slots during the week...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA