Rear Leg Swings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Spartans,

I started a similar thread on BBD several months ago looking for information concerning rear-legged hitting. Here is one of the responses that I received that seemed to explain it well. At least in my opinion. Others may disagree. There is a great deal of confusion between 2-legged hitting and rear-legged hitting and it can be frustrating at times to find answers.

"IMO, all of the different descriptions being used, are simply another way of saying that a hitter needs to "keep his weight back".

Coiling/uncoiling, pulsing/relaxing, one leg/two legs, resistance/releasing resistance...what's right, wrong, or indifferent with all of that as to what Bonds is actually doing is secondary to what really we should see him doing....and that's not shifting his weight forward until he swings the bat.

I'm sure we can all see that he does move forward in both those swings....

2cifg93.jpg

...but more importantly, how many can see that during that forward movement, he is not shifting his weight forward onto his front leg, but maintaining it over his rear one in both of them?

I know you talked about being balanced, but in either of those swings....IYO, when does he get to a "balanced", 50/50 weight distribution in both his legs?

I see him "sitting" with a greater amount of weight on his rear leg, and the swing takes his weight forward more to a 50/50 distribution onto he legs, but that might just be me.

Read more: Oops, there was an error! |

Numerous studies have been performed in which pressure plates are placed under the front and rear foot. The findings are fairly uniform, and conclude that it is not a 50/50 pressure distribution going into contact.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That's Miss Buttermakers hitter they were "making great progress" then I guess what he was teaching them became terrible all of a sudden. So I guess good for them if they now have a better way.

The Ragin Cajuns drill I gifed is the one legged drill.
ullhands_zps615df137.gif

Sort of reminds me of Hugo's wide open stance and how she uses her rear leg from there.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Spartans,

I started a similar thread on BBD several months ago looking for information concerning rear-legged hitting. Here is one of the responses that I received that seemed to explain it well. At least in my opinion. Others may disagree. There is a great deal of confusion between 2-legged hitting and rear-legged hitting and it can be frustrating at times to find answers.

"IMO, all of the different descriptions being used, are simply another way of saying that a hitter needs to "keep his weight back".

Coiling/uncoiling, pulsing/relaxing, one leg/two legs, resistance/releasing resistance...what's right, wrong, or indifferent with all of that as to what Bonds is actually doing is secondary to what really we should see him doing....and that's not shifting his weight forward until he swings the bat.

I'm sure we can all see that he does move forward in both those swings....

2cifg93.jpg

...but more importantly, how many can see that during that forward movement, he is not shifting his weight forward onto his front leg, but maintaining it over his rear one in both of them?

I know you talked about being balanced, but in either of those swings....IYO, when does he get to a "balanced", 50/50 weight distribution in both his legs?

I see him "sitting" with a greater amount of weight on his rear leg, and the swing takes his weight forward more to a 50/50 distribution onto he legs, but that might just be me.

Read more: Oops, there was an error! |

hi Fastpitch. Bonds is at the extreme for weight back. Probably the most extreme.

I have had good results from swinging around the front leg. and even better results from swinging INTO the front leg.

not so much with the weight remaining on the back foot.

At the end of the day, the front side gets weighted, for a reason, it is used also for power production.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
hi Fastpitch. Bonds is at the extreme for weight back. Probably the most extreme.

I have had good results from swinging around the front leg. and even better results from swinging INTO the front leg.

not so much with the weight remaining on the back foot.

At the end of the day, the front side gets weighted, for a reason, it is used also for power production.

I am not digging the "extreme weight back" comment of Bonds. Bonds almost all weight back as are most amateurs. Bonds gets almost all unweighted on the back side as do most amateurs. Bonds weight stays back then gets suddenly pull snapped into the ball with quick efficent violence. A large amount of amateurs do a much longer slower weaker less violent push of the weight forward. That is part of why his swing mechanics are a model for adjustabilty and suddeness.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I am not digging the "extreme weight back" comment of Bonds. Bonds almost all weight back as are most amateurs. Bonds gets almost all unweighted on the back side as do most amateurs. Bonds weight stays back then gets suddenly pull snapped into the ball with quick efficent violence. A large amount of amateurs do a much longer slower weaker less violent push of the weight forward. That is part of why his swing mechanics are a model for adjustabilty and suddeness.

not well put, ok.

Bonds with his weight so far back, often not getting the weight off his foot until follow through, or after contact, or am I wrong?

does your "snap", include hip extension"?

Check out Bond's femurs, the acute angle to pelvis, symmetrical both together.
But his rear leg is really loaded up.
Bonds18-0.00.01.50weightmiddle.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Numerous studies have been performed in which pressure plates are placed under the front and rear foot. The findings are fairly uniform, and conclude that it is not a 50/50 pressure distribution going into contact.

Five,

Can you give what the pressure distribution percentages were at setup\contact\finish? Just curious...CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Five,

Can you give what the pressure distribution percentages were at setup\contact\finish? Just curious...CP

I suppose I could dig it up ... but from memory, at 'setup' it is fairly balanced ... at 'contact' the majority of pressure has been shifted to the front foot [... prior to that there was a shift to the rear foot] ... and I don't know what you mean by 'finish'. Now-a-days they have better equipment. They have pressure sensitive mats hooked up to a computer that tracks the weight distribution along with video of your swing. You get to see a golf swing being analyzed with full knowledge of pressure distribution throughout the swing. The studies I have of the baseball swing use pressure plates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA