Random Drug Testing for High School Athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
But both drugs and alcohol are against the rules...and against the law I might add. Schools counseling our kids? They have enough to do and their resources are shrinking every year. How about the parents spend time with their kids telling them that drugs and alcohol are not legal (21 years old for the alcohol) and stop relying in government entities to parent their kids.

I do not have a problem testing all students and boys and girls at our school are subject to the same testing and it is not designed to single out kids.

Yet they have the time and resources to drug test kids....None of their business from an athletic stand point. If they are not drinking in school, if they are not high in class, none of the schools business. I am not condoning any drug use but what a kid does away from school is none of the schools business. What's next? Virginity tests?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would like to hear you call it what you think it is.

Unlike HS sports programs at many colleges are a business and if run properly they are self sustaining. HS sports are a money pit and the funds could be put to better use. However, I am sure the school boards would find another way to waste the savings.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I too am against random drug testing. It is part and parcel of the willingness of Americans to forgo their constitutional right to be free from warrantless search and seizure. We now live in a culture of guilty until proven innocent and the SCOTUS is part of the problem.
There are a lot of things that are against the rules and against the law, it doesn't give the "authorities" the right to invade your DNA without reasonable suspicion. Unfortunately in the culture we live in too many Americans are willing to allow the state to bend and break their own laws if it is deemed to be for our own safety.

This is a nice review of the reasoning behind the rational, but I disagree with the fundamental premise. I know I am in the minority.
Safety trumps the Constitution in these days.

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42326.pdf

This is also a nice article.

https://csl.sog.unc.edu/node/914

May 14, 2010
In Illinois, a District cannot drug test all students. A student is guaranteed access to education so there is no punishment for a student to fail a drug test so it is a waste of resources. Athletics (Or any extracurricular) is not a right, it is a privilege. So extracurricular participants can be tested.

Our District contracts with an outside provider for all aspects of the testing. Everything from selection of test subjects to collection to analysis. The District has no input so whiners can't complain about how unfair it is. Well, they can...

Believe it or not, punishment is not the objective of the District. They are hoping that the threat of the test is enough to help young people make smart choices. Perhaps students will say "No, I can't. I might be tested and football/ basketball/ softball is too important to me." Naive perhaps, but less naive than hoping parents will do anything positive.

Drugs have a negative impact on the learning environment. Much more than on any sports environment. Schools are doing what they can to discourage the use. Because too many parents won't/ don't.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We were tested every match before a powerlifting event ( steroids ) , we were tested every season before individual sports ( drugs ). We had the "threat" of random tests based on behavior. ( in the student athlete school agreement ) Maybe out of 4 years, a dozen randoms were ordered.............and with just cause.

Now, invasion of privacy aside, as a parent I'd like to find out ASAP if there is a drug problem. Some will say I can administer a drug test at home, true. But sometimes actions/attitudes AWAY from home are very different, sometimes we can't see the details through the rose colored glasses observing our "angel". I know a few parents who wish they would have known there kids were starting down that path early, because the longer down the road of usage, the harder it is to stop and turn around.

FYI for parents:
Also, I haven't always been the poster child myself. Even in the 90's there were ways of passing the tests ( urine ), there were daily supplements to wash out the toxins/drugs, there were "drinks" that would hide the toxins within 20 mins and gave a 3 hour window to take the test and pass. I can only imagine the tricks available to kids today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207