Random Drug Testing for High School Athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
The issue I took to the school board was why is my kid being subjected to them when her teachers and coaches aren't? Obviously it didn't go anywhere but I felt all school personnel should have to live by the same rules, of course they don't, and sometimes I wonder just how prevalent drug use is among High School teachers, coaches and administrators? Does you daughters High School require the same of their personnel?

that's a great point....and I'm sure there would be some teachers that would be pretty nervous if tested.....but for HS student athletes...? there's plenty of testing at the college level and then eventually the working world for young people to ruin their lives....don't see the need to jump start it for the few that could possibly learn how to eliminate that stuff from their lives....I'm sure their are some people how are out in left field that would think preschoolers should be tested before they are allowed to all eat play-dough together, but I say leave the HS'ers alone....

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
The issue I took to the school board was why is my kid being subjected to them when her teachers and coaches aren't?

Well alcohol use is legal for adults age 21. Not sure I want to go down that road where all employers are randomly drug testing all of their employees.

HS athletics is voluntary so I don't really have a problem with random drug testing. However, I do wonder how many eligible players we would have had on my Varsity Soccer team in the 80's had their been random drug testing? ;)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Right. We would not have had a soccer team, if testing had been mandatory, in my son's HS. But, generally, a HS is trying to eliminate someone specifically, when they do this. Some schools have the drug sniffing dogs come in. I agree with that. No one should bring illegal drugs into a school. But, are we kicking kids off a team for marijuana use?

I am guessing that they are really looking for cocaine and heroine.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
High School in my town all school sponsored activities, and students with parking permits, are in the random testing pool (Done by 3rd party). You can either agree to submit to the test(s) or you are not allowed to participate. 1 positive test is a "Code Violation" 1/4th of a season suspension.

I personally like the rule because it keeps all of the kids honest and safe. DD has been tested 2x's in her career. I am tested at work as well.

Full drug screen here...

"Kicking kids off for Marijuana use"? Absolutely! No better or worse than alcohol...

Apr 25, 2010
They threatened it at DD's school last softball season because a few of our upper classmen were known to partake in some herb before practice and games. I will say, if they did go through with testing, our little school would have ZERO sports. Smoking weed is the unofficial school past time around here. I tend to land on the side of overreach.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know, but drug use has gotten so much worse and alcohol use is rampant. If you kick a kid off for one mistake, I know where he or she is going to end up. (And it isn't staying clean for sports, unfortunately.) A kid is better off on the team, than off.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Amy,
They get a second and third chance to straighten up and what is that telling the kids who do not "Partake in the herb" and work their butts off to get better and don't use?

Crystlem,
Sounds like a great place to go to school if that is the "Norm". Maybe a year w/o sports would straighten things out and the school should concentrate on their drug problem and not paying for athletics...this is what we are becoming? Overreach? I guess it's the LEO in me...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma