Random Drug Testing for High School Athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The former high school athlete in me says "hell no", while the father of a 16 year old says "hell yea"!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Drug testing is a slippery slope. If they want to do it, test everyone. The kids know who is using, anyway. Seeing who has changed groups of friends is usually a good indication. When I was teaching and a new kid would move in, we would just wait and see what group he or she gravitated to. Parents that would take their kid out of one school and enroll them in another one, were always amazed that their same problem still existed, just with a different group of kids.

Maybe drug testing should start in 6th grade, so the student can decide early, which way he or she is going to go.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
I have a huge problem with it and would not consent to having my kids tested. It is an over reach and has no place in the school system.

I do not think consent is an issue. You either take the wiz quiz or your season is over or worse. I never took issue with it with respect to athletics since participation is a privileged.

Pretty sure the SCOTUS ruled on testing for athletes 20+ years ago, and didn't have a problem with it.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Our district has been testing since back in the 1980's. Before the football season everyone signed a document saying that they would not use alcohol, illegal drugs or any form of tobacco. We also had to agree to random testing. Also, we had to agree that we would not be at any party where use of any of these were taking place. So, If I was at a party where there was drinking I could be removed from the team just for being there if the cops came and broke it up. Don't get me wrong, there were parties that we attended back then. We knew the risk if we were caught.

BTW, student council, debate and other activities were also monitored.

I've got no problem with it. You either follow the rules, or you don't. Just don't complain that the rules aren't fair AFTER you've been caught breaking them.

Jun 1, 2013
My view on this, a local high school here does it for student athletes and drivers, is that they are singling out athletes. If you have a testing policy make it a blanket policy, don't single out student athletes. Athletes should be practicing and working hard during season be suspending them all the school is doing is giving them MORE free time to partake in whatever they like. Is this about intervention or what? Instead of suspension why not 2 months of counseling or something. That would at least make it seem like it is in the best interest of the student. The driving part is an overreach as well but it could possibly lead to saving a kids life.

Jun 1, 2013
Our district has been testing since back in the 1980's. Before the football season everyone signed a document saying that they would not use alcohol, illegal drugs or any form of tobacco. We also had to agree to random testing. Also, we had to agree that we would not be at any party where use of any of these were taking place. So, If I was at a party where there was drinking I could be removed from the team just for being there if the cops came and broke it up. Don't get me wrong, there were parties that we attended back then. We knew the risk if we were caught.

BTW, student council, debate and other activities were also monitored.

I've got no problem with it. You either follow the rules, or you don't. Just don't complain that the rules aren't fair AFTER you've been caught breaking them.

I agree with following the rules when you join. Like illegal pitchers complaining about the pitching rules. My objection is that the rule shouldn't be in place. Around here the superintendent has made it quite clear he does not value sports and uses the rule to further diminish the sporting activities.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My boys signed that honor code thing. It was Friday. The senior baseball boys decided to pitch a tent near a creek. They were roasting hotdogs and having a good time. Their dads decided to sneak up on them and scare them. Guess what they found? Beer. Haha. There goes the season.

I think it was a minor suspension for that first time. But, it was quite embarrassing for everyone.

Mar 21, 2013
It doesn't appear there is a lot going on in girls sports, but on the boys side it's wide spread. It would probably surprise a lot of you at how rampant the use of steroids is in H.S. football. My issue is that I know a few schools that are testing for "recreational" drugs, but not steroids because they know what the outcome will be. It may also surprise some that some of the biggest offenders are the large private schools. If your going to test "randomly and fairly" then for everything. My opinion on where positive result should lead to

Alcohol - counseling at initial finding and additional future testing (no suspension at initial finding)

Drugs - Suspension until a clean test is supplied with counseling and additional future testing. The student should also be required to provide community service in the term of assisting their teams with anything they need. They may not have the privilege of wearing the team uniform, and may only participate in practices by means of shagging balls and the like (No batting etc) or games. Let them be just enough of a part of the team to keep them in something productive, while making them miss the privilege of full participation.

Steroids - Same as above.

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
But both drugs and alcohol are against the rules...and against the law I might add. Schools counseling our kids? They have enough to do and their resources are shrinking every year. How about the parents spend time with their kids telling them that drugs and alcohol are not legal (21 years old for the alcohol) and stop relying in government entities to parent their kids.

I do not have a problem testing all students and boys and girls at our school are subject to the same testing and it is not designed to single out kids.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA