Quote from High School Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I beg to differ, and I come from one of the oldest, most established fastpitch areas in the country. Never heard of such a thing, nor saw it. Are you actually that old; did you play then? It is basically something people like to say today; particularly people who never played softball or even gave it a thought in the 70s or 80s, being 2 years old or even 15 years old at the time. Softball players did not fall off the turnip truck yesterday and they deserve more respect.

I have lots of respect for softball players who have reached a high level of play. The hard work and dedication it takes to reach that level is to be admired. What I don't have respect for is when those players become instructors who teach things that are not only significantly different than what they did/do themselves, but also flat-out bad advice.

Unfortunately, this is a story that is far too common.

My recent favorite (sarcasm) was a former D1 player addressing a group of rec coaches, and telling them that the hips are the LEAST important part of the swing.

I apologize if you find offence in this, OILF - and I have little doubt you will chalk it up to me being a "just a dumb dad" - but I have a hard time putting my faith in someone solely because they played the game at a high level.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
hitting-linear-sue-enquist-instruction-animated.gif

Prior to around 2004 a couple of coaches thought there was a 'softball swing'.

Near as I can tell(between cringing and eye-rolling I didn't get a great look) that's the swing DD's HS coach demonstrated.

Dec 29, 2010
We also had a college coach tell our dd this. He is supposed to be some kind of legend. Said she would never be successful. She needed more arms. LOL!

OOFPDaddy, man, I know this has to eat at you. You've done your homework and made sure your dd is good to go with the best advice and coaching. Hopefully, this coach will get out of the way. Still, the drill work etc. can be a problem if it promotes a poor swing. So, good luck with all of this. Hope the dd has a great year!

Nah, its all good CB. She just turned 15, freshman. She knows to be respectful when something seems fishy. She loves softball, but is not a freak about it. Its not 24/7 for her. She's like 21/6. Do I wish she did more? Yes of course, I see the 1 percenters in the area, its not my kid, I understand. Her best friend quit, her catcher, no more love for the game. Its that age you know. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild