Quote from High School Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 29, 2010
Dd comes home yesterday and tell me her HS coach doesnt like her swing because, u ready? u know its coming, to all the fathers and mothers who seek out information on improving your dd, at this site and others, to filter nonsense and see what works with your kid.

"You have a baseball swing not a softball swing"

I start grinning, did u ask coach how she wanted you to swing?

DD - No, she was passing thru a station when I was hitting off a tee.

Me - Next time ask her to show you how she wants you to swing.

DD- Ok, then what?

Me - Well, if you see her swing and hear her explaination/cues and your gut feels funny, just nod your head and smile.
You know the drill. Dont chuckle, dont be disrespectfull.

Dd - OK, got it, U always told me a baseball swing and a softball swing were the same?

Me - In my opinion they are the same, we had many conversations about this, dont worry.

Me - Btw, didnt she do the same thing last year?

DD - Yup, she never mentioned it again once the season started.

Me - Why was that? (already knew)

DD - My swing she didnt like ended up being 2nd best, she didnt like Sallly's(her best friend) either.

Me - Didnt Sally hit like 6 something?

DD - Yup

Me - What did u hit?

DD - Cant remember I think high 4s almost 500. But dad it was JV pitching.

Me- U can only hit what is pitched to u, u and Sally made it look easy even though you dont have softball swings ;)

I forget, are we supposed to teach our daughters that the swings are different? Why? Because of gender? ;)

Like to hear your thoughts, when a Coach/parent/hitting coach tells you the baseball siwng and softball swing are different.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
I may expect to hear that from a "rec ball coach",,, not HS. It is kind of funny, be interested to hear what the differences may be in her eyes.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
OMG...... 15 years ago we went thru the same this with eldest daughter. All the coaches kept telling her and us that she had a baseball swing. my usual response: "Thank you, that's why she makes good contact". <insert cheesy smile, while cursing in my head>

Now with DD2 - 10U - we've had a few coaches in the past try to change her swing: arm position, feet, etc... We spent the summer getting into our baseball swing. It's great to be able to show her successful college players with "baseball" swings.

Oh yeah..... the only difference between a baseball and a softball swing..... CONTACT baby!

Sep 17, 2009
It's great to be able to show her successful college players with "baseball" swings.

Yes, this!

Have her say "I don't model my swing after the Yankees or the Red Sox, I model it after Louisiana-Lafayette or Alabama or Florida etc. etc."

And then, if she has a little devil in her, have her ask the coach: "don't you too?"

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Actually, if I remember correctly, the baseball and softball swings were different at one time. I remember back in the 70's through the early 90's where the end-all-be-all SB swing was a linear swing and the baseball swing was rotational. Even today, many SB coaches that are "old school" still believe that the linear swing is the only one that should be used. However, the more enlightened coaches, athletes and instructors all know that the "Elite" or "High Level" swing can and should be used in both sports.