Question re: DD not playing HS ball senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Going into HS I knew the coach wasn't good so I started thinking DD might be better going the Raven Chvanne route and running track. (or playing another sport) I asked some DI college coaches (including some big names that everyone here has heard of) and the unanimous response was they don't really care about HS ball (my words, they were more diplomatic). they know most of the coaches are not too great and many of them are hired because they are already teachers in the school system.

one word of caution though, when they ask you why you didn't play your senior year, don't be negative about the coach and the drama, keep your comments positive. like HS ball was fine at first but wasn't really geared for players who wanted to advance their game. There wasn't any more time left and you felt that the best way to prepare for college ball was by stepping up your training , working with outside athletic trainers. - or something like that.

My DD gets unnecessary crap from her coach when he doesn't say anything to the players who are actually screwing up, so I can kind of relate. We both know that the coach has a history of nit picking and yelling at his best players (she is one). Good luck- I am tired of team drama and coaches not having a clue how to coach, not knowing the rules, believing that cheating is an acceptable tactic, etc.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
CB. You know I have the utmost respect for you and would absolutely love to have you coach my DD's HS team. Is there any chance whatsoever that you'd move to Ohio to do so for her Senior year?!:confused:

Unfortunately coaches such as CB in HS ball are an enigma. Kind of like a short line and great customer service at Wal-Mart. You never expect it, thrilled when it happens, and wonder if you will ever experience it again.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The problem is that none of us are perfect. Neither or other HS or TB coaches. I have a parent meeting schedule now since one player/player's parent are upset about this past weekend. We have played 12 games and this player took her turn on the bench for 4 innings. I never sit a player at the JV level longer than 4 innings and every player plays every game. I truly believe that JV is for development. This is the first time this player has sat longer than 1 inning.

Let me say that I know that I am a little different than some coaches because I have done this for so long and have had a dd go through the process. We were playing a team 50 minutes away and after the game, an opponent's parents were waiting for me alongside the bus. They asked me if I could help their dd get recruited. She is a player and yet, she plays for a small town TB team that never advances in tournament play. Their HS Coach has not been out of college long and I'm sure doesn't know many collegiate coaches. My advice was for them after I gave them all of my contact info was to go on a couple of college websites, fill in the recruitment questionnaire and then send me an email letting me know when they completed those forms. I will then call those coaches and tell them about his young lady. She is fully capable of playing at a mid D-II and some area D-IIIs. JUCO should not be out of the question for her since that might get her a better chance to be see or heard of after doing well at the JUCO level. I'm certain that I'm not alone in my efforts and know outstanding HS coaches who work very hard for their players. Naturally, the regions in our country differ greatly and so do the expectations of HS Coaches.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Unfortunately coaches such as CB in HS ball are an enigma. Kind of like a short line and great customer service at Wal-Mart. You never expect it, thrilled when it happens, and wonder if you will ever experience it again.

That made me laugh out loud! THANKS!

Jan 20, 2010
I'm a lowly HS Coach. I must be crazy but I know most of the college coaches around my parts and more than my fair share out of state. I even have a few ask me once in a while for advice. That is just crazy of them. I have been busting my butt trying to get some of my HS girls some interest. Their TB teams don't seem to have the contacts I do. :cool: Today, I think I got one enough interest that she is going to get an offer to a very good softball school. For another, I asked a former player I coached in TB to come and see one of my players this past week. I asked her to then call her former college coach and let him know her opinion about this player. I don't know what she will report but she said she would. My player had a very good game against a quality opponent when she came to watch. My point is that there are still some relics out there in HS who actually know people, people know them and who work to get their players into college.

You my man are a very rare breed. I appreciate all the work you put in for your HS. What you just stated can not be said by many!!!!

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Good news!! She is sticking to it her senior year. She realized that there would be too many regrets, and her attitude will be totally different as a senior. Yay!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I'm a lowly HS Coach. I must be crazy but I know most of the college coaches around my parts and more than my fair share out of state. I even have a few ask me once in a while for advice. That is just crazy of them. I have been busting my butt trying to get some of my HS girls some interest. Their TB teams don't seem to have the contacts I do. :cool: Today, I think I got one enough interest that she is going to get an offer to a very good softball school. For another, I asked a former player I coached in TB to come and see one of my players this past week. I asked her to then call her former college coach and let him know her opinion about this player. I don't know what she will report but she said she would. My player had a very good game against a quality opponent when she came to watch. My point is that there are still some relics out there in HS who actually know people, people know them and who work to get their players into college.

You are the exception not the rule.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
With all due respect, I can't believe that I'm one of a few. I know a lot of HS coaches who work very hard for their students. There are some top college coaches who read this site and, at times, I wish that they would chime in on this. Of course I understand why they don't. In talking to them, I've never heard one disparage a HS program. Sure, the real recruitment is on the TB circuit. Still, what happens in HS is valuable to the development of players. If I am truly a relic, and I mentioned that before in jest, then it is sad. As an FYI, one player now has a JUCO offer and has accepted. One is talking to an NAIA school and I think is close to accepting an offer. That school is not a top school now but has a great coach who just might turn things around.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
With all due respect, I can't believe that I'm one of a few. I know a lot of HS coaches who work very hard for their students. There are some top college coaches who read this site and, at times, I wish that they would chime in on this. Of course I understand why they don't. In talking to them, I've never heard one disparage a HS program. Sure, the real recruitment is on the TB circuit. Still, what happens in HS is valuable to the development of players. If I am truly a relic, and I mentioned that before in jest, then it is sad. As an FYI, one player now has a JUCO offer and has accepted. One is talking to an NAIA school and I think is close to accepting an offer. That school is not a top school now but has a great coach who just might turn things around.

That's the thing about successful people. They can't imagine that everyone else doesn't work just as hard as they do for their success. It is a fear and a drive that makes them work even harder than they perceive others to work. Often times successful people or people otherwise deemed heroes are quoted as saying, "I did nothing different than what anyone else would have done in the same position".

Unfortunately, many of us can and do speak from experience that there are many coaches out there that coach either for themselves or for a bump in pay, and not for the girls, the betterment of the game or to help girls get to college

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles